SOLVED: Why can't KDE keep the right time on reboot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

SOLVED: Why can't KDE keep the right time on reboot

Post by colyn »

Running KDE 4.10.3 and everytime I reboot I have to reset the time. It will jump several hours. NTP is installed and my BIOS time is correct..

Can't set to get the time automatically..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why can't KDE keep the right time on reboot

Post by xenopeek »

Only Linux, or also Windows on your machine?
J_C

Post by J_C »

It's not just you Colyn, since daylight saving began here in the UK (British Summer Time) my laptop completely refuses to keep the advance of 1 hour.
I have tried automatically changing it and it always reverts to UTC but the time zone remains as London, manually change it and it reverts back to UTC on reboot. I've even changed the BIOS clock and selected 'use system time' and upon reboot it goes back to how it was. :?

Also a quick google will show that it's not just us. It would seem I'm one of luckier ones with my mere hour difference, like yourself many people's clocks are out by several hours. :roll:

I cannot test on Windows, I don't use it at home. But to me this seems to be a KDE issue. I'm also running 4.10.
colyn

Post by colyn »

xenopeek wrote:Only Linux, or also Windows on your machine?
Just Linux. Windows is banned on all my computers..
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

colyn wrote:Running KDE 4.10.3 and everytime I reboot I have to reset the time. It will jump several hours. NTP is installed and my BIOS time is correct..

See if the below command works. Worked for me in 4.10.1.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
More here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=128331
J_C

Post by J_C »

Well that was nice and easy!

Problem solved, many thanks anandrkris :D

Hopefully will work for you too Colyn, just a couple of simple steps to follow in the terminal.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Glad it worked. :) Even I had struggled with it for quite sometime.
I had raised this in KDE Bug tracker when i was getting an error while changing time.
Aaron J. Seigo - This is a system integration issue. It requires that the time setting service be installed and given privileges via PolicyKit to be able to be run by the user.
colyn

Post by colyn »

J_C wrote: Hopefully will work for you too Colyn, just a couple of simple steps to follow in the terminal.
This seems to have done the trick even after a power outage and reboot.
wushaman

Re: SOLVED: Why can't KDE keep the right time on reboot

Post by wushaman »

colyn wrote:Running KDE 4.10.3 and everytime I reboot I have to reset the time. It will jump several hours. NTP is installed and my BIOS time is correct..

Same thing bothered me for a few days, Thanks anandrkris I hope the time stays correct after a reboot.....

Rebooted and time is still correct.
wushaman

Post by wushaman »

Something is wrong in the Date & Time - KDE Control Module. Whetever I choose for pool.ntp.org it gives the same time for my time zone. My time zone is Amsterdam, Zagreb, Sarajevo., Belgrade ...Every time I try to adjust time automatically from this KDE Module the time is set back for 2 hours.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

wushaman wrote:Something is wrong in the Date & Time - KDE Control Module. Whetever I choose for pool.ntp.org it gives the same time for my time zone. My time zone is Amsterdam, Zagreb, Sarajevo., Belgrade ...Every time I try to adjust time automatically from this KDE Module the time is set back for 2 hours.
Suggest to raise a bug on this problem since many of us have experienced the issue.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317089 - Add here, if you feel it is related to KDE rather than Mint.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

anandrkris wrote:
wushaman wrote:Something is wrong in the Date & Time - KDE Control Module. Whetever I choose for pool.ntp.org it gives the same time for my time zone. My time zone is Amsterdam, Zagreb, Sarajevo., Belgrade ...Every time I try to adjust time automatically from this KDE Module the time is set back for 2 hours.
Suggest to raise a bug on this problem since many of us have experienced the issue.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317089 - Add here, if you feel it is related to KDE rather than Mint.
No need--same bug cropped up in Kubuntu 13.04 and same solution fixed it. The problem was KDE's, not Mint's.

I wish somebody over on the KDE team would slowdown on releasing stuff. For my part, I'd rather wait a year for the next version than have to deal with so many random bugs. Of course, on the other hand, it was my choice to go with the latest versions--could have stuck with KDE 4.9.5 and been perfectly happy.

Return to “Software & Applications”