How to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamsterthecool

Re: How to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers in LinuxMi

Post by jamsterthecool »

Worked a treat with a integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics card on mint 14 64bit .

+ it also sorted out the blank screen on resume error :D

Thanks!

UPDATE: Not so great because now when I try to log out to a command prompt I just get a fuzzy unreadle screen .
Last edited by jamsterthecool on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mythologem

Post by mythologem »

Howdy. Thanks for this guide. Noob question: what is this

Code: Select all

sudo ./n.run
I entered it and got an error command not found. It doesn't like that period, or something.
dombot

Post by dombot »

Guilden_NL wrote:
McLovin wrote:hit ctrl+alt+f1, that will make sure you get back to the tty1, sometimes when you shut down the Xserver, it switches you to the tty7, not sure why it does it sometimes, but it's easy to just get back to tty1.
Doesn't work with Nadia on an ASUS X51vz. That's my default check when hung up changing video as this problem goes back to the 1980's with BSD.

Am hung up on a blinking dot, no cursor.

Any other ideas?
Guilden_NL, were you able to get passed your blinking dot, not cursor screen? I am stuck at the same point and can't figure out how to get passed it. I've tried Ctrl-Alt+F1 with no luck.

Thanks!
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

jon723, did you disable onboard graphics on your motherboard. I know it may sound like a dumb question but a lot of people that have onboard video just think they can pop in a video card and have it work out of the box with out disabling the settings on the motherboard.

Just a thought. Never know what will work it's easy enough to go into your BIOS and check.

John
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I think it is important to mention that along with this tutorial Enkidu added a small tutorial to add to this one in this thread. Do yourself a favor and print his short tutorial too as it will save you from having get stuck in a small screen. if that happens just run those commands from Enkidu further up in this thread, reboot, then install from McLovin tutorial again. I had to learn this the hard way. speeding through the tutorial without reading further down in the comments. Read this entire thread and you wount brick your computer.

Also remember when McLovin wrote this thread he specifically stated that this is for dedicated newer graphics cards. Meaning if you have onboard grapphics on your motherboard and have them enabled in your BIOS chances are this won't work. With any dedicated graphics card you should always disable the onboard graphics anyway if they are on your motherboard. Most of you know this and I don't mean to sound condescending, this is just for people who are not aware. This is by far the easiest and safest way to get your nvidia drivers installed. . I don't like running PPA's, becuase i am compromising the securrity of the OS by granting permissions to someone I don't know, who for the most part are honest people but this is the internet. And I don't like granting superuser powers to someone I don't know. This way you don't have to.

John
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

What can we do if everything is working, but then, openGL just fails so much that i can't launch any linux game ?
And thought, 2d videos have some display problem when lot of mouvement. For a 200 euros graphical card, it's hard it could not even display a video properly :(

Any way I could do a clear reinstall or do I have to restart everything from scratch ?
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I am in Linux Mint 13 "Maya" Mate now and can confirm that McLovin tutorial worked like a charm in 13 too!. Make sure the driver you download that you make it "executable" by checking that box in the "Properties > Permissions panel. I didn't even need to do anything else but his steps. If you find yourself in a black black screen just try control,alt, F1 keys. also 'sudo reboot', then control,alt,f1 will help in some cases to see how far you got in the process. If you get to the point where the nvidia driver is asking you if you want it to write to a config file for you than you know you made it home safe! :) I know there are thousands of different hardware builds out there, but it should work on most. In Maya I didn't even have to mess around with nouvouea, or what ever that god forsaken piece of software is that is messing everyone up.
revelationman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revelationman »

Here is my situation, I have this 9 year old tower with Nvida 6200 Gforce, anyway , I went to Device , then I seen a recommended Driver for Nvida, oh I though this is nice , well , upon the reboot, I have no drivers, the screen is large, i am puling my hair, I have tried several things to restore the video,

It painfully appears that one should not use these driver's , I am currently on my laptop now , posting this message,.

I mean I could reload , but the point of learning is fixing it , I have up to my sudo now, and maybe just maybe throw the disc and reload, but I would like to see what the experts suggest, I can run commands

I tried to update the Nvida drivers but they cannot be found

So any suggestions, would be great, lesson that I learn is when something is running good do not touch it, bad things will happen lolol

But Linux Debian Edition is fantastic I love it , and it runs great on this box AMD 3200 64bit I have installed the 32 bit version , but it is a great system so any advise suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
P5-133XL

Post by P5-133XL »

My Nvidia issue is a bit unusual compared to most here. I have a working Nvidia card and driver (Nivida-current). however, I need OpenCL support that it does not seem to have but the Nvidia drivers downloaded from Nvidia do. So I'm trying to update my Nvidia driver using the drivers from Nvidia that I downloaded.

I do the following from a terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop
cd /location I stored the Nvidia installer
sudo ./Nvidia-drivers

and there it errors saying I still have a module using the nvidia and won't proceed.

when I try to remove the nvidia module by running sudo modprobe -r nvidia nothing complains
But there is no change when I try to install ./Nvidia-drivers for it still errors out.

So what am I doing wrong and how can I proceed?
life617

Post by life617 »

Will this method work with the debian version of linux mint?
Bladeforger

Post by Bladeforger »

It really SHOULDN'T be this hard, but I have used LMDE Maya on the prior motherboard and liked it a lot. Also, I'm happy with the way Mint does software selection backup and restore. Thus, I'll beat this beast somehow... going from 32 bit to 64 bit with this nice new AMD MB and FX processor and 16GB of memory has been a trial in patience.

After half-a-dozen installs, this is the closest I've been.
Nouveau is blacklisted.

Anyone not knowing how to do that from the terminal might profit from this:
sudo apt-get install vim
navigate to the directory:
cd /etc/modprobe.d
sudo vim blacklist.conf
using vim you have to enter codes to quit and to save the file.  To save it's ":w<enter>".  To quit it's ":q<enter>".
I hadn't used vim before because I never had to edit a file from the terminal before without having the desktop / Xwindows (DE).  Live and learn.
Vim also is good for reading all those config files that you want to check... like the xorg.conf file and the xorg.failsave, etc.

I downloaded the driver for my GEForce GT620 and changed it to an executable with chmod.
I ran the driver install.
Then I had no GUI. X gave me the error that I had API mismatch, NVIDIA kernel module has version 304.88. NVIDIA driver has version 310.44.
Since I was only in text mode, the only way to update again was with sudo apt-get update and upgrade.
No joy. Same mismatch in versions.

Now I'm looking for a driver that will match the kernel. If that fails, then I'll do the install again, from scratch, update, and then pick the experimental driver. If none of the above work, then I might even drive back over to Tiger and find a different graphics card. Something will work.

I already have installed nvidia-kernel-dkms, nvidia-settings, nvidia-smi, and nvidia-xconfig.

A̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶e̶c̶i̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ FIXED IT.

Finally, what worked, the last step:
Go back to the nvidia download website; enter the graphics card info/linux/64bit and, from the list, get the driver THAT MATCHES THE NVIDIA KERNEL. In my case, that was 304.88. Download that driver. Install it.

A couple more notes, for anyone that doesn't know already, if you've already knackered the DE, then you have to download using the live DVD.

There are ways to unmount and remount the whole hard drive from the live DVD; however, there's an easier way. Download and view the downloads with Firefox (the browser on the live DVD). Right click and open folder. Drag the downloaded driver to a usb device. Rename the driver--I used 30488.run.
Then:
sudo reboot
log in to the system, if you're here reading this, the DE still isn't working so you're in command mode.
plug in the usb
cd /media (if you haven't done this) and sudo mkdir mymedia
cd /dev/disk/by-uuid (There are other directories, but by-uuid gives you short labels for the usb.)
sudo mount [the uuid for your usb] /media/mymedia
cd /media/mymedia
ls (to make sure you're there and see the files... mine was renamed by me earlier to 30488.run)
sudo chmod +x 30488.run
sudo sh 30488.run (say yes to everything like was mentioned in earlier posts)
After the install:
sudo reboot

It works. Thanks, bunches, to all the original posters here; and I sincerely hope that this helps someone coming along after me.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Bladeforger wrote:It really SHOULDN'T be this hard
no it doesn't need to be :P
Bladeforger wrote:but I have used LMDE Maya
i'm sorry but that thingy doesn't exist, either is lmde or is maya.
Bladeforger wrote:I downloaded the driver for my GEForce GT620 and changed it to an executable with chmod.
try this instead >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424 (2 commands in terminal)
MadBlue

Post by MadBlue »

@ all muti GPU user:

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a 
that will make you happy!

Sören
necorb

Post by necorb »

jsplicer wrote:jon723, did you disable onboard graphics on your motherboard. I know it may sound like a dumb question but a lot of people that have onboard video just think they can pop in a video card and have it work out of the box with out disabling the settings on the motherboard.

Just a thought. Never know what will work it's easy enough to go into your BIOS and check.

John
Im on a laptop (notebook) with what I would call integrated grapichs, chipset(?). My BIOS have like two options "Wake up on LAN" and "set admin password". But why do I want do disable what I want to install drivers for (onboard graphic)? And how to I do it?

sudo dmidecode --type BIOS
# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
	Vendor: Phoenix        
	Version: 1.0H-4921-000F
	Release Date: 02/13/2008
	Address: 0xE6810
	Runtime Size: 104432 bytes
	ROM Size: 512 kB
	Characteristics:
		PCI is supported
		PNP is supported
		APM is supported
		BIOS is upgradeable
		BIOS shadowing is allowed
		ESCD support is available
		Boot from CD is supported
		Selectable boot is supported
		EDD is supported
		5.25"/360 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
		8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
		Serial services are supported (int 14h)
		Printer services are supported (int 17h)
		CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
		ACPI is supported
		USB legacy is supported
		LS-120 boot is supported
		Targeted content distribution is supported
I've been trying to install the nvidia driver for to long now with no success and starting to wonder if it's possible. Everything seems to be "detected"(?) but when I install the driver and try login the system crashes and through me back to login, where everything starts over (system crash and back to login screen).

00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 SATA controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M G] (rev a1)
Im not all that familiar with how Linux works and could easily have missed something, but have anyone got any idéas how to get 3D support for this?
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redondo »

mythologem wrote:Howdy. Thanks for this guide. Noob question: what is this

sudo ./n.run
I entered it and got an error command not found. It doesn't like that period, or something.
You need to rename the orignal file to "n.run" for that to run. do a "ls" from the Terminal to see the name.
edward.ij

Post by edward.ij »

Hi
I have followed the installation and when i finish and go to start mdm it gives me an error and then the error log comes up with this report of the errors:
NVIDIA: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 304.88, but this NVIDIA driver component has version 319.17. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.
and
Fatal server error:
no screens found
(EE)

^^ even though I am reading this off a screen. Although the screen is plugged into the graphics card so that may be why it isn't detected. Also the graphics card is NVIDIA GT 610

Thank you in advance

EDIT: Now rebooted again and used the Graphical interface and my NVIDIA X Server Settings says the driver version is now 319.17 although is there any way of checking that everything is working and the kernel is the same version as the Driver?? Just to make sure that the error isn't just lurking behind the scenes.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

I ran inxi SGx and got
System: Host: joe-desktop Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.13) Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 630] bus-ID: 04:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVC1 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

Even though I have a "Failed" error things are working ok. How should I install my drivers?
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

I tried to install from Advanced drivers tab- first choice -propietary tested-and now I get
System: Host: joe-desktop Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.13) Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 630] bus-ID: 04:00.0
X.org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nvidia,nouveau tty size: 207x58 Advanced Data: N/A for root
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Tried the step by step directions from McLovin, now all I get is the command line. Failed to start the X server
tried rebooting and pressing e but nothing happened. Is my install hosed?
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

jsalpha2 wrote:Tried the step by step directions from McLovin, now all I get is the command line. Failed to start the X server
tried rebooting and pressing e but nothing happened. Is my install hosed?
Try some commands first, we can do nothing without seeing the error message you get.
sudo /etc/init.d/mdm start
And also, try maybe to reinstall the .run of your nvidia driver. I had to launch it twice to have my installation working :O

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”