MDM HTML5 Themes

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samriggs

Re: MDM HTML5 Themes

Post by samriggs »

ya recompressing them is the easiest way I can think of unless want all of them then the deb file takes care of everything for you.
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

alright running LM15 now, execpt when i go to login with the new mdm i have to choose NUM Lock. Is there a setting i can change to make this work? Sam i know you were able to change that issues on some of the themes you made for me.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

flyboy1565 wrote:alright running LM15 now, execpt when i go to login with the new mdm i have to choose NUM Lock. Is there a setting i can change to make this work? Sam i know you were able to change that issues on some of the themes you made for me.
Hey flyboy
Yup the wife's had the same issue and I had to fix it
Here the solution in two post. The first one worked for me but just in case I'll put the second post also, which is pretty much the same thing anyhow.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=133569

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116017

By the way I'll be sending you the celebrity one soon, just got through all the data stuff last night so I just have to put it all together now, it has 200 of them in this one.
and am making less boxes so they can also be bigger and 2 clues instead of 4, I knocked out the birth and death stuff.
Sam
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

thanks so much sam that fixed the issue... i love the new lm15.. also i'll be testing the app later today.. at first glance it looks nice
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Cool glad it fixed it, ya the main thing to test is trying to killing it :lol:
there are 200 images to go through, I shuffle them so they don't pop up twice unless they gone through all 200 first then it reshuffles them again, so if you click away for 200 times and it doesn't force close then I know the images won't cause any force closes, which means it should be all good :D
I put it up already but if theres any issues I'll fix it quickly and reupload it again.
I actually put the ad free one up for free by mistake :lol: I quickly killed that one, now I have to go rename the package and do it all over again :lol:
Stupid me. I'll get you to test the words ones after I get done coding it and making ten billion images for it :shock: if you want to, similar test, click like mad and try and kill it :twisted:
I want to try a desklet for the shinny new cinnamon now, I went through some of the code from some already done, I just have figure my way around it to convert some things over, I never made one before but it looks pretty simple. straight javascript and if need be, some css and a json, not to much to it by the looks of it.
An analog clock of course, unless someone else does that first, and I was thinking maybe a posty notes one unless it's done, where you can leave sticky notes as reminders for yourself, with the ability to change and/or remove them. It might be useful to some.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thanks Sam for the MDM themes. I have installed Mint Olivia and I love them. especially that owl theme. It rocks man :D :D :D My family too loves them too much :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Hey no problem Brahim glad you like them, I'll make more soon as I get through a few more things here, I already started a couple, just trying to balance out doing 4 things at once as usual :) and now that I got the new cinnamon installed on LMDE curiosity is getting the better of me to add desklets to the list now :lol:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I think you should join the Mint dev. team officially :D I'll ask the gang to recruit you :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Heck no that will kill what time I have left to do my other stuff :lol:
that's why I just do what I can when I can, I'm already spreading myself thin for all the projects I have going on.
On top of all the other toys I'm fooling around with I'm also going back to C++ and using the Qt-sdk to play with and try and make some other stuff for linux, not mint based only, if I can get the time to get back into it again, it's been years since I coded in C++ and C so it should be fun getting back into that again, I kind of missed it, plus the first language I learnt was C in the mid to late 90's on an old commodore. Made tic tac toe as my first project :lol: I kept that practice up for all new languages I learn now instead of hello world.

Oh Clem I downloaded the new 1.2.4 mdm and it looks like bootbox works now in LMDE :D
I only tested it in the emulator, I'll give it a whirl live soon as get some time.
So far it's all good though except the webgl stuff still but that's more then likely a debian issue by the looks of things.
Almost got tempted to install webgl and webkit from scratch just to see if I could get it going the way I want it to but decided I need my system for work :lol:
Only so far I'll go tempting fate with it.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

What happened to that leaf MDM theme :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Brahim wrote:What happened to that leaf MDM theme :D
Left that one for you to do :lol:
I bet ya can do it :D
leaves are just a rotate using % like

Code: Select all

0% { rotate(0deg);}
50% {rotate(-30deg);}
100% {rotate(0deg);}
that will make it rotate 30 degrees to the left and go back again, add a scale to make it look like its growing a tad bit like so

0% {scale(0.8); rotate(0deg);}
50% {scale(0.5);rotate(-30deg);}
100% {scale(0.8);rotate(0deg);}
so when it rotates to the left it scales down abit to make it look like it's moving away a bit, the ole grand illusion of 2D, I just made this up as typing so you would have to fool around with it since it's pretty basic and needs some other stuff and tinkering with.
The water ripple is just a scale with opacity like so

0% {scale(0.0); opacity(0.0);}
50% {scale(0.5);opacity(1.0);}
100% {scale(0.8);opacity(0.0);}
it fades in and out as it grows, just choose the speed with

animation:waterdrop 50s infinite;
     animation-timing-function:linear;
    -webkit-animation:waterdrop 50s infinite;
    -webkit-animation-timing-function:linear; 
50 is the speed in which it moves or happens, the lower the speed the faster it goes, 50s is pretty slow but you might even want 100 for leaves to make it appear as if it's a gentle breeze moving them very slowly.
to move the logo up out of the water knock out linear so it only animates once, and start off with opacity 0 to 1 and raise it from 0% to 100% with no 50% inbetween
so it starts the x and y where the ripple starts (minus 50% of image height in width in margin) so it lines up in the centerand raise it up (or minus y) slowly.
Duplicate the water ripple water one or two more times at different intervals so it looks more like a ripple and appears at different times and it should be done :D
Of course making other leaves rotating to the right some on left etc etc until it looks real.
You can do it :D and if you can get this one done your pretty much on your way to making any css animation without javascript.
I would use images for the ripples though, to make it look more real.
Remember you must use % for opacity especially unless it's in the main part but in keyframes it has to be % from what I tested so far, I just learnt this stuff in a day when I started making these, although I knew css I never fooled around with animating in it before I did these, so it's not too hard :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Hey Bahrim I can't help myself got an idea for a DarkNebula one tonight and am starting to work on it, if it turns out like I hope it will it should do ok.
If you like dark themes this one should be good hopefully, that's if I can get down what I got in my head onto gimp.
I'll leave that one for you to try if you want to, if not I'll get to it soon, I just have to do this one, it's in my skull aching to get out and nothing is on paper as a reference so I'm going for it before I forget what I want to do with it.
If you need some help how to put it together this place helped me a lot when I first got into it, it doesn't take long to learn how to move stuff across a screen and using combinations of things to make it do what you want to, if you know how to make a website this is just one basic step above that unless you get into the 3d stuff and jquery stuff but for the most part css can do a lot for you.
Go here to read up on it, they show you a lot of samples also with code: http://www.w3schools.com/css3/css3_animations.asp
I was going to do that one, but I know you can do it and once you start you'll probably not want to stop, just something about moving stuff across a screen is entertaining for some silly reason.
One DarkNebula coming up :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Sam,

Awesome work on the themes. They look gorgeous. Due to size constraint (a 20MB+ package update is problematic in terms of bandwidth/server) I couldn't select them all and I had to reduce their size a bit.

- I reduced the size of the various bg.jpg (acceptable minimal loss of quality for some, no visual loss for others)
- I placed the flags and session images into a common directory and modified the various index.html files to point to it.

I uploaded the result here: http://linuxmint.com/tmp/themes.tar.gz

Many thanks.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Never seen anything like that before they are awesome :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Cool I'll check it out after I do a reinstall, I mucked up things last night playing in the danger zone repos :lol:
Didn't even need what I was doing and thought hmmmm not good you shouldn't do this, it wants to upgrade over 60 other things, DON'T DO IT MORON! but alas I pressed the button and now things have gone amuck on me :lol:
No big deal, I had to backup things anyhow, next time it wants to upgrade over 60 other things just to upgrade one I WILL NOT DO IT :lol:
Be Back after I get this toy back to normal again.
Sam
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

Love the HTML5 themes. It's a very cool feature and pretty easy to tweak an existing one to get a custom login screen. Maybe it's just me but while the default Clouds theme is gorgeous it feels out of place with all the other mint Linux Mint branding. Mint is all green, silver and white and the clouds theme just feels a little out of place as the default.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

sjmcc wrote:Love the HTML5 themes. It's a very cool feature and pretty easy to tweak an existing one to get a custom login screen. Maybe it's just me but while the default Clouds theme is gorgeous it feels out of place with all the other mint Linux Mint branding. Mint is all green, silver and white and the clouds theme just feels a little out of place as the default.
Hey sjmcc, how are you and welcome to the html5 side of things.
The whole idea for these is to offer something different, there all out of place :lol:
I love the clouds one personally, and it shows 3d capability for the mdm which is really cool, plus it's nice and clean.
BUT, we can always use more themers it would be nice to see some other peoples work as well, so if your up to the challenge please make some :D .
I got 13 of them done so far (all 2d stuff) fell free to take any of them and make your own out of them or make one from scratch, the 3d stuff is from triplejs engine, it has a ton of examples but make sure you test it first to see if works in the login screen, same goes for canvas for 2d stuff, so things still don't work properly in all areas so it may need tweaking, the 3d stuff works fine in the main edition but does not work yet in LMDE (webgl stuff only maybe canvas 3d does) I have yet to fool around with it myself more to find out the limits in LMDE.
I lokk forward to seeing your work if you want to make some.

Oh Got the system reinstalled with libc6 2.17.3 now and the new cinnamon from romeo and of course upgraded my beloved gimp, then I shut off the repos off again except the main one :lol:
That'll teach me, although the wife says I'll wind up doing it again because I just can't leave things alone :lol:
Just have to put all my crap back in and I'm back to normal again (well sort of)
Sam
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

Hey samriggs. Your doing some great work. In the process of learning html, css, and javascript right now. Still have a ways to go to be able to produce anything very interesting. Just started out trying to tweak the default theme a bit to match my systems own theme. I have messed with css for awhile, using it tweak cinnamon and gtk themes to match what I want. The only bad thing is I find it highly addictive playing aroung with this stuff!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ya it's addictive, that's for sure. it took me away from my normal stuff I do for a month, and still have more in the works.
we left quite a few links in these posts if you need some help, animating in css is pretty simple stuff once you do it a couple of times. not really much to much to it.
I also left a few code snippets here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=128396
mainly to make a analog clock and doing a sprite sheet that animates and moves about and a simple particle code (watch your rotates in css with this one, it works better without rotate in css at all and if the rotate is too big it just locks up) but the particle on it's own if fine and with basic linear animations.
If you fooled around with css and gtk stuff it won't take you long to catch on and of course html is probably the easiest of all languages to learn.
Hope to see some stuff later one.
Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

clem wrote:Hi Sam,

Awesome work on the themes. They look gorgeous. Due to size constraint (a 20MB+ package update is problematic in terms of bandwidth/server) I couldn't select them all and I had to reduce their size a bit.

- I reduced the size of the various bg.jpg (acceptable minimal loss of quality for some, no visual loss for others)
- I placed the flags and session images into a common directory and modified the various index.html files to point to it.

I uploaded the result here: http://linuxmint.com/tmp/themes.tar.gz

Many thanks.
Your welcome for these Clem it was my pleasure, gave me a break from the normal crazy stuff I do and I had fun doing them, I will make more and have some in the works, just playing catch up now with my own stuff as well now, I tried to install the tar into the login screen though and it wouldn't install that way, other then that though it's all good :D it can be done the other way.
Frannoe also shoved all of them into a deb file as well for me so they can all be installed in one shot, there up on around 4 or 5 places also, he said he'll keep this deb file updated as I do more and add them to it as well I also shoved it on sourceforge as a deb download.
If you want to see where all the links are here they be: http://samriggs.deviantart.com/ just scroll down to the mdm entry all the links are there, if you want this one up there as well I can put that one there because it has the common files added to yours which is nice :D
Frannoe has his download in dropbox but I got mine in sourceforge to give folks a choice.
In the future I'll make these a lot cleaner, I was sort of zipping through them to get them in time for the release so you can add some toys to it if you wanted to and to draw others to the new mint 15, hopefully it worked.
I'm putting the main edition on my sisters notebook when the final is out so I can it have to test the crap out of for some stuff :lol:
I had the wife's but like me she likes lmde so I had to convert it over.
But at least I know if it works on lmde it should work on pretty much anything :D
got to go test eclipse and see if it got broke in the reinstall :lol:
EDIT: had to reinstall eclipse/android bundle, in case anyone has issues with their new update, just reinstall the new bundle sdk it fixes it, a bit of a hassle but it works grrr :evil: just wish they would get around to fixing that buggy as heck emulator one day.
Anyhow on a good note I tried clouds on the login screen and bootbox NOW WORKS ON LMDE and populates, something it didn't do before, this is good news because now I can use the same one as clouds for all the mousetrap stuff as well as anyone else making themes and keep it standard across the board from now on.
Very good news :D
I have to make a couple things I'm behind on (my own stuff) that should take me about a week tops, then I'll get to the bootbox stuff, maybe even see if I can add a param in there to change the color, if it's possible, in the html section, might be a nice touch if it's doable, and make a template from the original mdm theme with mousetrap and bootbox already done so no themers has to make it themselves, just concentrate on the rest and the mousetrap and bootbox will already be done for them.
Sounds like a good plan to me, and it will be standard that way for everyone from now. Something I wanted to do and now can.
Makes me happy happy happy.
Last edited by samriggs on Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Your Artwork”