Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Monsta »

blued wrote:Is it just me or is the Users and Groups applet missing from the control center? (Mate 32bit edition).
Oops. Package mate-system-tools is not installed for some reason. Install it to get that applet.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

@Jessey Lawson - Calm down, Jessey. It's obvious that you have an extremely unique, isolated problem or multiple problems by what it sounds like. With all due respect, you should have checked the comment thread on the official announcement blog post first (where the bugs are traditionally reported for any Release Candidate) before posting anything:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361

If you had, you would have found out that the majority of the problems you encountered did not exist for other testers/users. I'm not saying you didn't have all these problems you mention, I'm sure you did but you would have realized that those problems are probably isolated to both your hardware and, by the sound of it, a bad ISO or bad burn of the ISO.

So, if you really want help with this, I can tell you right now that you went about it the wrong way. If you want to try again then start by posting your hardware specifications of the machine you're encountering all these problems on. We can't help you if we don't know what hardware you're using.

Second, after posting your hardware specs, download a new ISO of LM15 RC (either Cinnamon or MATE--your choice) and make sure you check that the Md5 checksum is correct for the version you downloaded before you burn it to a DVD or write it to a thumb drive. Then, when you boot up the live session, at the boot screen, you can select the option to test the medium for errors to make sure the burn/write went well.

Lastly, for my reply anyway, please don't "yell" at the developer(s). This accomplishes nothing and gets you nowhere. being terribly frustrated to the point of anger is definitely not the time to write up a forum post (ask me how I know this :roll: :) ) The Linux Mint community as well as the developers are known to be one of the most helpful of any distro community out there but ranting and raving won't get you the help you need. And as far as minor aesthetics are concerned, such as the "fade in" boot screen logo or "step" dots versus a progress bar (the progress bar is still there during actual installation if you notice), for heavens sake, relax. There are more serious problems in life to get upset about than mere logos and dots. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Monsta wrote:
blued wrote:Is it just me or is the Users and Groups applet missing from the control center? (Mate 32bit edition).
Oops. Package mate-system-tools is not installed for some reason. Install it to get that applet.
And for LM15, it's the "gnome-system-tools" package that needs to be installed. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

First I have registered my hardware on the cumminity site, but if you want I will do so again. Second this is the third dvd ISO I burned. Thrid Linux Mint 14 had Gnome 2 so where is it in 15. There is no excuse for any of you saying it is not, why fallback is in 15, thus meaning gnome is not fully installed! Then you forget I have been useing Mint for 2 years I rember 12 and 13. Clem is under time constraints and I under stand that, but the problums can't be covered up. 14 was much stabler as a RC and the proplums were not nearly as bad and it had gnome. Don't forget that Gnome is still in the Mint repos meaning that it should be fully installed. Then you have the fact that some people actualy care about how things look. There are many OS's out there and many Linux Distros. You don't have to break every thing just to make your distro better. Ecuse me but Mint is not Ubuntu. I expect to be able to download and run programs for Linux even on a RC, in fact an RC is like a Demo for you distro. If it does not look good people will start to queston your comintment. I like what Linux MInt is, but I don't like what it is becoming. Mint has tones of problums beyond the code. I hope that the full version is better, but I dought it. Oh, I just have a little question that makes me wounder, What happened to VLC? I mean come on VLC is the best media players out there. I can understand if it was for legal reasons, but who cares about that. I don't know anyone other then Linux Format who downloads the version with out the codecs. I don't care what the papers in the books say about codecs if mint has a version I will download it any way. Yes I was talking about the law books. VLC is the only media player that can handel Blue-rays.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

kmb42vt wrote:@Jessey Lawson - Calm down, Jessey. It's obvious that you have an extremely unique, isolated problem or multiple problems by what it sounds like. With all due respect, you should have checked the comment thread on the official announcement blog post first (where the bugs are traditionally reported for any Release Candidate) before posting anything:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361

If you had, you would have found out that the majority of the problems you encountered did not exist for other testers/users. I'm not saying you didn't have all these problems you mention, I'm sure you did but you would have realized that those problems are probably isolated to both your hardware and, by the sound of it, a bad ISO or bad burn of the ISO.

So, if you really want help with this, I can tell you right now that you went about it the wrong way. If you want to try again then start by posting your hardware specifications of the machine you're encountering all these problems on. We can't help you if we don't know what hardware you're using.

Second, after posting your hardware specs, download a new ISO of LM15 RC (either Cinnamon or MATE--your choice) and make sure you check that the Md5 checksum is correct for the version you downloaded before you burn it to a DVD or write it to a thumb drive. Then, when you boot up the live session, at the boot screen, you can select the option to test the medium for errors to make sure the burn/write went well.

Lastly, for my reply anyway, please don't "yell" at the developer(s). This accomplishes nothing and gets you nowhere. being terribly frustrated to the point of anger is definitely not the time to write up a forum post (ask me how I know this :roll: :) ) The Linux Mint community as well as the developers are known to be one of the most helpful of any distro community out there but ranting and raving won't get you the help you need. And as far as minor aesthetics are concerned, such as the "fade in" boot screen logo or "step" dots versus a progress bar (the progress bar is still there during actual installation if you notice), for heavens sake, relax. There are more serious problems in life to get upset about than mere logos and dots. :)
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/from/54745
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Jessey Lawson wrote:First I have registered my hardware on the cumminity site, but if you want I will do so again. Second this is the third dvd ISO I burned. Thrid Linux Mint 14 had Gnome 2 so where is it in 15. There is no excuse for any of you saying it is not, why fallback is in 15, thus meaning gnome is not fully installed! Then you forget I have been useing Mint for 2 years I rember 12 and 13. Clem is under time constraints and I under stand that, but the problums can't be covered up. 14 was much stabler as a RC and the proplums were not nearly as bad and it had gnome. Don't forget that Gnome is still in the Mint repos meaning that it should be fully installed. Then you have the fact that some people actualy care about how things look. There are many OS's out there and many Linux Distros. You don't have to break every thing just to make your distro better. Ecuse me but Mint is not Ubuntu. I expect to be able to download and run programs for Linux even on a RC, in fact an RC is like a Demo for you distro. If it does not look good people will start to queston your comintment. I like what Linux MInt is, but I don't like what it is becoming. Mint has tones of problums beyond the code. I hope that the full version is better, but I dought it. Oh, I just have a little question that makes me wounder, What happened to VLC? I mean come on VLC is the best media players out there. I can understand if it was for legal reasons, but who cares about that. I don't know anyone other then Linux Format who downloads the version with out the codecs. I don't care what the papers in the books say about codecs if mint has a version I will download it any way. Yes I was talking about the law books. VLC is the only media player that can handel Blue-rays.
In no certain order:

VLC can be installed via the Software Manager. Why it wasn't included by default, I don't know. It has nothing to do with legal reasons since Linux Mint already includes the necessary codecs. I'm not sure if the latest version of Totem (the included movie player) supports Blu-Ray playback.

Gnome 2 was not included in Linux Mint 14. The only desktops available for Linux Mint 14 was Gnome 3/Cinnamon and MATE 1.4. MATE is a direct fork of Gnome 2 and it looks and acts just like Gnome 2 so that was what you were obviously running if you thought it was actually Gnome 2. The only version of Gnome available for Linux Mint 15 (14, 13 and 12 as well) is (was) various versions of Gnome 3 and Cinnamon replaces the default gnome-shell and "muffin" replaces Gnome 3's "mutter". The last version of Linux Mint that included the Gnome 2 was Linux Mint 11 which used the Gnome 2.32 DE. These are just simple facts.

Fallback mode is no longer used. From the LM 15 RC release notes (What's New in LM 15 RC): http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php
Fallback mode

Cinnamon no longer uses gnome-session for fallback. In some cases gnome-session didn’t allow Cinnamon to run even though the hardware was capable of running Cinnamon. Another limitation of gnome-session was its inability to restart Cinnamon after a crash. In Cinnamon 1.8, the Cinnamon session always launches Cinnamon, so your computer will try to run Cinnamon no matter what.

Cinnamon also uses a wrapper to restart itself and recover from potential crashes. If Cinnamon crashes it now falls back on Metacity and asks the user if he/she wants to restart Cinnamon.
I'm done here.

Update: Thank you for posting a link to your hardware specs.
Arek

Post by Arek »

kmb42vt wrote:Fallback mode is no longer used. From the LM 15 RC release notes (What's New in LM 15 RC): http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php
Fallback mode

Cinnamon no longer uses gnome-session for fallback. In some cases gnome-session didn’t allow Cinnamon to run even though the hardware was capable of running Cinnamon. Another limitation of gnome-session was its inability to restart Cinnamon after a crash. In Cinnamon 1.8, the Cinnamon session always launches Cinnamon, so your computer will try to run Cinnamon no matter what.

Cinnamon also uses a wrapper to restart itself and recover from potential crashes. If Cinnamon crashes it now falls back on Metacity and asks the user if he/she wants to restart Cinnamon.
I'm done here.
When I had my spate of problems with my first attempt to run LM15 Cinnamon from LiveUSB with no "save file" (equivalent to a LiveDVD) I had problems with the nVidia drivers, which resulted in Cinnamon somehow dropping me into the old gnome-session fallback mode, so apparently the new Cinnamon-only setup doesn't catch all cases just yet. This is likely related somehow to not having the ability to save data between sessions, as it went away when I had unetbootin redo my LiveUSB with 1G reserved for saving data between sessions.

Perhaps the unionfs root isn't being set up correctly when there's no "casper-rw" file (the file used to save data between sessions) present, causing / to be partially or fully read-only or to not have enough writable space for normal operation?

--Arek
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

Arek wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Fallback mode is no longer used. From the LM 15 RC release notes (What's New in LM 15 RC): http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php
Fallback mode

I'm done here.
When I had my spate of problems with my first attempt to run LM15 Cinnamon from LiveUSB with no "save file" (equivalent to a LiveDVD) I had problems with the nVidia drivers, which resulted in Cinnamon somehow dropping me into the old gnome-session fallback mode, so apparently the new Cinnamon-only setup doesn't catch all cases just yet. This is likely related somehow to not having the ability to save data between sessions, as it went away when I had unetbootin redo my LiveUSB with 1G reserved for saving data between sessions.

Perhaps the unionfs root isn't being set up correctly when there's no "casper-rw" file (the file used to save data between sessions) present, causing / to be partially or fully read-only or to not have enough writable space for normal operation?

--Arek
Ha, yet I am the only one who has prof. Watch the video and put Gnome 2 back in Linux Mint and yes I just noticed the messed up audio:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUk3hlQ3 ... e=youtu.be
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Gnome Classic session is not Gnome 2. It's a fallback which was part of Gnome 3 and will be abandoned by Gnome developers upstream.

MATE is the continuation of Gnome 2, so if you like Gnome 2 you should use Mint 15 MATE.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

[Mint 15 Mate 64bit] Continual Synaptic freezes

Post by rlindau »

If there's a better thread where I should post, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it.

I've installed Mint 15 RC (Mate, 64 bit).

The problem I've noted (right from the start) is frequent freezing of Package Manager / Synaptic. I'll open Synaptic and start looking in "Installed" packages to find fonts I want to completely unstall. I've had frequent Synaptic freezes as I've done so - sometimes when I select a package, sometimes when I'm just scrolling. Eventually I get an unresponsive script message. If it tell it to end my session, I find I can't shut-down - I must do a force power off.

Any guidance on what to do about the Synaptic freeze (possibly, just wait for the GA version, I suppose).

Thanks, Rob L
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

As I mentioned here, Synaptic seems to be broken upstream.
Cypherhack

AW: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Cypherhack »

What do you think, how much time we have to wait until the stable version shows up?
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Expect the final release within a week or two, Cypherhack.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [Mint 15 Mate 64bit] Continual Synaptic freezes

Post by AlbertP »

rlindau wrote:Any guidance on what to do about the Synaptic freeze (possibly, just wait for the GA version, I suppose).
It is an upstream problem, if you have a Launchpad account you can go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1178024 and tell that the bug also affects you at the top of the bug report. It will then probably get more attention at Ubuntu.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Cypherhack

AW: Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" RC released!

Post by Cypherhack »

Adelante wrote:Expect the final release within a week or two, Cypherhack.
Seems like a bit to less time to fix so many bugs. :) We'll see...
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: AW: Re: Linux Mint 15

Post by kmb42vt »

Cypherhack wrote:
All the bugs have been fixed already I believe. There will always be a few "upstream" problems (Ubuntu problems) that Mint cannot take care of. For example, the bug in the Synaptic package manager that causes it to freeze up when scrolling with the arrow keys or occasionally when searching and/or installing packages. And there are always those isolated hardware-specific problems that no none can predict. Anyway, I'll still bet that the final will be released on or before the end of the month. :D
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

kmb42vt wrote:
Cypherhack wrote:
All the bugs have been fixed already I believe. There will always be a few "upstream" problems (Ubuntu problems) that Mint cannot take care of. For example, the bug in the Synaptic package manager that causes it to freeze up when scrolling with the arrow keys or occasionally when searching and/or installing packages. And there are always those isolated hardware-specific problems that no none can predict. Anyway, I'll still bet that the final will be released on or before the end of the month. :D
If the bugs are already fixed, does that mean they've also been pushed out as updates to the RC?
florus

Post by florus »

guimaster wrote: If the bugs are already fixed, does that mean they've also been pushed out as updates to the RC?
I would say that they have. Minor issues with my 15rc installation have been corrected over the last week, and it is now running brilliantly.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

If the bugs are already fixed, does that mean they've also been pushed out as updates to the RC?
Updates (bug fixes) have been rolling in on a daily basis since the RC was released. The Mint community really jumped all over this one and the Mint devs ended up fixing over 82 bugs that were reported as of 24 May 2013. Since Clem reported that only two were left as of 23 May 2013 and I've received to additional (LM 15 RC related) updates since then, I'm assuming most everything is fixed by now. :)

There's a new Mint blog out called "Segfault". Here's the link to the post about the RC fixes:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/w ... rc-it-was/

You might want to check back to this new Mint blog from time to time as it's constantly updated with what's going on behind the scenes, unlike the official Mint blog.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Mint 15 is the best operating system now zdnet says here http://www.zdnet.com/mint-15-todays-bes ... 000015691/ Image

Image Image Image

Return to “Releases & Announcements”