Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicci

Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Post by nicci »

:?: Hello,

I have stuff running on my system.. modemmanager, bluetooth, some ppp stuff, samba that are all listed in upstart (initctl list | grep running). I also have things that are run as services that initctl doesn't list (apache, mysql, etc.)

I have tried using bootup manager. The official site shows a screenshot of somewhat of what I want (and until I can find documentation for upstart that makes sense I can't really write one but I do have a work in progress)

What I have from bum, however, is largely a list of guid type numbers, instead of a description, along with a service name.

When I tried to, for example, disable bluetooth and modemmanager, I found those services, after reboot, to, once again, be running. Mind you this is on a desktop system without a modem or bluetooth hardware. While I can rant about how init stuff changes every 18 months or so this isn't the time or place, but, sheesh, managing services seems a lot easier in Windows -- but Windows does not provide the environment I need to what I do.

SO...

Is there an official way to manage service in Linux Mint Nadia (14)? Why does bum not work? Is this a matter of Mint's upstart not being "proper"?

Are there ways I can debug the interaction between bum and upstart so that I can figure out why disabling services doesn't actually work? Or am I stuck running services for non-existent hardware and networking features I do not need?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Skrell

Re: Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Post by Skrell »

I would also love to know the answer to this!! :)
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bootup Manager (BUM) and unneeded services

Post by Redondo »

Here's the Upstart Cookbook, but first read this blog on Upstart intro.

By the way boot up manager doesn't work well or at all with upstart, since a lot of init.d have been turned over to upstart.

Interesting I find my bluetooth stopped and modemmanager still running.:

Code: Select all

$ initctl status bluetooth
bluetooth stop/waiting
$ initctl status modemmanager
modemmanager start/running, process 794

Have you checked the config files at /etc/init?

Return to “Installation & Boot”