Mint 15 Screen brightness has no effect on Compaq 6910p

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diddy1234

Mint 15 Screen brightness has no effect on Compaq 6910p

Post by diddy1234 »

Hi all

If I have posted in the wrong section, I am sorry and please move the post.
I did search for a mint 15 section but could not find one.

Im loving this new Mint 15 and have it installed on four computers now.
Out of four pc's the only pc that has any problems is on my Compaq 6910p regarding screen brightness.
If I try and change this in the system settings of Cinnamon the slider does move but no effect on the screen.
The screen brightness is stuck around 60% so it is useable but not great.

If needed I could post my xorg.config other than that I do not know what else I can configure.

Thanks in advance

Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diddy1234

Re: Mint 15 Screen brightness has no effect on Compaq 6910p

Post by diddy1234 »

Problem resolved but I kind of feel like a wally for finding out what the problem was.

In the bios, I had enabled 'ambient light sensor'.
The result was that the screen brightness in Cinammon had no effect.
Windowze overrules this light sensor hence the problem did not show up.

So for anyone using a Compaq 6910p laptop, if your screen looks dim try turning this setting off in the bios.

Now mint looks great.
kherring7383

Post by kherring7383 »

I have a fairly new Lenovo Laptop and I too had the same issue with Mint 15. After doing some research, I found this link that explains how to alter grub to fix the brightness issue which for me worked great. http://www.refreshit.info/2012/08/solve ... rease.html

After this, I installed xbacklight and added it to Startup Applications to set the brightness level after login and the Brightness applet to the panel.

As an example, create a startup option with this command: xbacklight -set 40 and then after login the display will dim to about 40%. If you like, change the value to to whatss comfortable for you.
diddy1234

Post by diddy1234 »

thanks kherring7383

I got this working now.
Cinnamon adjustment now works fine and I can set the brightness fine.

As a side note, cinnamon's slider setting allows the user to slide between 0% and 100%.
I dont think 0% is actually true, maybe that could be fixed later on.

Maybe the slider should vary between 40% and 100%. that would be more realistic.
Anyway at least its working fine now

Rich

Return to “Cinnamon”