Problem With Downloading from Ubuntu Resources

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ookami

Problem With Downloading from Ubuntu Resources

Post by Ookami »

Firstly, I noticed a problem when I thought it would be a jolly good idea to use Envy to install new graphics card drivers. I click the icon and it says Envy needs to install new dependencies as it won't work without them. Very well, install the new dependencies. Zip zip zip, goes the download bar... I think to myself 'ruddy hell, this is fast'.

It froze at File 34 of 43 for a while, but after that got through to the end (which turned out to be around 50-something files). But I thought it would be over when it turned out to be the start. A new window popped up saying 'Downloading package files' but it didn't download any kind of package file for a long time... forever stuck on an 'unknown' download rate. I have never had any kind of problem like this before, Mint usually installs and runs and updates perfectly for me.

This is the output when I cancel the Envy installation:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.6.1-1ubuntu10_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6-i686_2.6.1-1ubuntu10_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.22/linux-libc-dev_2.6.22-14.52_i386.deb
And a bunch of other files... I'll spare you the lengthy list.

MintUpdate told me I had an Apt update to install. I tried to update Mint, but at the downloading window it simply hung at an 'unknown' download rate. I assumed I broke Linux by trying to use Envy when I never had any use for it before, so I restarted... only to be greeted by a blank text-filled screen and no way of knowing how to fix the problem.

So, I re-install Mint, a fresh reinstall to help fix the problem. But now I'm greeted by an installation process that freezes at the Language packs for nigh on forever, and even skipping that means I have to be greeted by another download that refuses to start.

And even after installing, now I can't use the Restricted Drivers module anymore... the output:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/l/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22/nvidia-glx-new_100.14.19+2.6.22.4-14.10_i386.deb
I'm confused because I have never come across this problem before, and it means I can't enjoy my Mint anymore because it won't let me install anything the easy way.

Any help at all? Or even someone else who has come across this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Problem With Downloading from Ubuntu Resources

Post by rivenought »

Ookami,

Do you think it might be possible for the Ubuntu servers/repositories to be running at maximum capacity today? That is the first thing which came to my mind.

If this is true, you may wish to consider attempting the installation later. I am sorry you are having a problem. I have run into this similar situation a time or three myself with other distros. Good luck.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

rivenought wrote:Ookami,

Do you think it might be possible for the Ubuntu servers/repositories to be running at maximum capacity today? That is the first thing which came to my mind.

If this is true, you may wish to consider attempting the installation later. I am sorry you are having a problem. I have run into this similar situation a time or three myself with other distros. Good luck.

I think it's true

Ubuntu/servers/repositories are overloaded

The guy must do it later

:wink:
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I had a feeling it was gonna be that. I only just remembered the new Ubuntu was out :lol:

I shouldn't have messed with Envy >.>

Thanks anyway.

Return to “Installation & Boot”