HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bereal777

HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Post by bereal777 »

Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.
It had windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. Now I formatted and installed Linux Mint 14(Nadia) xfce 64 bits.

When I started linux mint with the cd, I then clicked on "install linux mint" then I got a little bit worried when i saw that I had no internet conection; that was a recomendation besides of having 6 gbs of available hard disk space and all that stuff, but i saw i had no internet conection, then I said to myself, "ok, i will continue anyway, i hoped that after instaliing the operating system it would had fixed.

I finally Formatted my laptop and installed linux mint14, but i see now that I´m still without wifi, then I conected my laptop with a cable and tried updating everything in the update manager, but after that still no solution found, i am still without wifi, when i activate it in my laptop is still with the red light not blue.

So Please Can someone help me fix this.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Post by jungle_boy »

You need to install the wireless card linux driver.

Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Post here the output.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
bereal777

Post by bereal777 »

ok i typed inxi -n, and after that it appears a text that says network: and i have to cards one for ethernet and the other broadcom. what should i do after typing inxi-n in the terminal?
bereal777

Re to : jungle boy

Post by bereal777 »

ok after I typed inxi - N

The Result is:
"Network: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11a/b/g driver: b43-pci-bridge"

what should I do Now?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Assuming you have a wired connection paste this into a terminal

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Might be worth a reboot after
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
bereal777

Post by bereal777 »

thanks a lot caf4926, now I have wireless Internet, Thank you very much I can Now continue using mint, so thenk you very much.
I can say that problem is solved. :D :D :D :D :D :D
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

bereal777 wrote:thanks a lot caf4926, now I have wireless Internet, Thank you very much I can Now continue using mint, so thenk you very much.
I can say that problem is solved. :D :D :D :D :D :D
You are welcome
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
aripaul

Post by aripaul »

bereal777 wrote:Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.
It had windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. Now I formatted and installed Linux Mint 14(Nadia) xfce 64 bits.

When I started linux mint with the cd, I then clicked on "install linux mint" then I got a little bit worried when i saw that I had no internet conection; that was a recomendation besides of having 6 gbs of available hard disk space and all that stuff, but i saw i had no internet conection, then I said to myself, "ok, i will continue anyway, i hoped that after instaliing the operating system it would had fixed.

I finally Formatted my laptop and installed linux mint14, but i see now that I´m still without wifi, then I conected my laptop with a cable and tried updating everything in the update manager, but after that still no solution found, i am still without wifi, when i activate it in my laptop is still with the red light not blue.

Thanks
Hi everyone,

I have a Laptop HP Pavilion G6-2240sq cu procesor Intel® CoreTM i7-3632QM 2.20GHz, Ivy Bridge, 6GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB and just like bereal i have windows 7 and i installed linux mint 14, 64 bit, and not wireless. I did however do all this about the terminal and installing, i installed in software center anything related to my wireless, in synaptic also and nothing works. I am a bit frustrated. I try to go to network settings and configure my wireless but it's not in bold so when i click the wireless nothing happens. If i have a connection by internet cable it works fine, but wireless is dead and gone....laptop is new and i have no more ideas.

Please give me some advice...
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

aripaul wrote:
bereal777 wrote:Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.

Thanks
Hi everyone,

I have a Laptop HP Pavilion G6-2240sq cu procesor Intel® CoreTM i7-3632QM 2.20GHz, Ivy Bridge, 6GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB and just like bereal i have windows 7 and i installed linux mint 14, 64 bit, and not wireless. I did however do all this about the terminal and installing, i installed in software center anything related to my wireless, in synaptic also and nothing works. I am a bit frustrated. I try to go to network settings and configure my wireless but it's not in bold so when i click the wireless nothing happens. If i have a connection by internet cable it works fine, but wireless is dead and gone....laptop is new and i have no more ideas.

Please give me some advice...
Can you post result of

inxi -N
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Actually might be better to see

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
aripaul

Post by aripaul »

caf4926 wrote:Actually might be better to see

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
i am running linux mint 14 kde by the way...forgot to say that...when i input that command this is what it says:
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3290]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:18ec]
07:00.1 Bluetooth [0d11]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3298]
--
08:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:183e]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

A quick google tells me there are issues with your device
EG:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2104129

I'd probably look at installing the necessary build packages and getting the firmware form Ralink http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_download ... php?sn=501
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”