Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" released!

Post by clem »

anandrkris

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" released!

Post by anandrkris »

Welcome news! Wishing the entire Mint team on this feat. :D
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dswaim91 »

NO HDMI SOUND!!!!

I am at a loss trying to figure out why a this release was made final with such a widespread issue. Simply using the newer kernel like Ubuntu did would easily solve the HDMI sound issue. I tried it on Linux Mint 15 and the new kernel works! There is no need to add another repository at all. This is a sad and quick fix while a correct quick fix was possible. Why was not the updated kernel used? This is supposed to be an out of the distribution.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Congrats! Clem & Team Great Works!

For those haven't read new features yet.
New features in Linux Mint 15
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_olivia_whatsnew.php

Also wonder tho comment made there.
How long we will wait for KDE? The .iso image was complete in 98%
and now is “Rejected” http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :/
But going to down the Cinnamon tonight back up my KDE 14 and give it a clean install go at it.
As still love Cinnamon. But a couple of workflow & productive issues keeps me from using Cinnamon daily.
So main workflow requires using KDE for me.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Congratulations, Mint Team. LM 15 Cinnamon is working beautifully. :D
spegru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spegru »

Am I going mad or is there no Live DVD option?
I've been trying the new 64 bit Cinnamon ISO burnt to a 2G USB stick and it does not give me a live boot option. In fact it says it's going to install Ubuntu!

What's going on?
diddy1234

Post by diddy1234 »

congratulations on the release.
Loving it here.

I think this release opens the flood gates to users that have brought new pc's preloaded with the latest operating system only to find no start button.
If they are savy enough, welcome to mint land :D

I can see lots of reviews (on Olivia) coming from various corners of the world soon.

Keep up the good work.
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

diddy1234 wrote:I think this release opens the flood gates to users that have brought new pc's preloaded with the latest operating system only to find no start button.
Was I first through the floodgate? :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

spegrum wrote:Am I going mad or is there no Live DVD option?
I've been trying the new 64 bit Cinnamon ISO burnt to a 2G USB stick and it does not give me a live boot option. In fact it says it's going to install Ubuntu!

What's going on?
i would say something is wrong, very wrong with the iso you downloaded.
did you checked the md5sum of the download?

Code: Select all

Cinnamon 64-bit: 2396a39e802a0463bf1727acd72d0700
has to be exactly that.
spegru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spegru »

Odd - I did it the old fashioned way with an actual DVD and it works fine from the same downloaded ISO.
Maybe something is wrong with my USB stick? (Created from the startup Disk creator)
Anyone else had problems booting live off USB sticks?
diddy1234

Post by diddy1234 »

Non Serviam wrote:
diddy1234 wrote:I think this release opens the flood gates to users that have brought new pc's preloaded with the latest operating system only to find no start button.
Was I first through the floodgate? :)
No but if people want the traditional start menu feel back then Cinnamon / Mate is the best bet.
Gnome 3 wont help

The timing for this release is also very good as well.
If M$ users are being forced to learn something new, then why not change to Linux at the same time ?
Ok I am over simplifying things here but you can see my point.

No disrespect to anyome but Cinnamon gives a very good windows 7 feel to a Linux desktop, which is a good thing.
Examples like, Settings (Cinnamon) ---> control panel (M$) etc
diddy1234

Post by diddy1234 »

spegrum wrote:Odd - I did it the old fashioned way with an actual DVD and it works fine from the same downloaded ISO.
Maybe something is wrong with my USB stick? (Created from the startup Disk creator)
I manually downloaded mint 15 cinnamon iso then used linuxliveusb creator http://www.linuxliveusb.com/.
This was done in windows on my work pc.
I created a persistance directory and then made the image.
This is how I install Linux these days and no problems at all.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Mamma mia :D What a storm!! I have never seen anything like that :shock: The new Cinnamon is amazing! Olivia is the best OS now! Thnks for the splash screen Clem and the team :D

Image Image Image
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If, such as myself, your PC has a 'non_pae' type cpu,
then you will still have to stay with Mint 13 LTS.

- just what happens, after, when that release is no longer supported, is getting ignored .. ..
- one can still use any 'nix after it's support has ceased, but with no security updates.
unlike a M$ O/S, this is not a real big issue.

- as long as, say, the lxde release, is still a 'non_pae' - then you can always move over to that .. ..
- you just can't use either mate/kde/cinnamon as your new O/S.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Congratulations to the Dev and Testing teams on this release. Looks like a good one. only problem for me is 3.8 kernel does not play well with my machines.
Guess i'll be waiting for 16 :( or find a way to change the kernel and also get everything else to work.
any way thanks for all the work.

cheers!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

spegrum wrote:Odd - I did it the old fashioned way with an actual DVD and it works fine from the same downloaded ISO.
I haven't had any problem booting live of USB sticks (thumb drives) although I use Unetbootin rather than the USB Image Writer which I've never had any luck with. For me, I have a Patriot 8GB thumb drive which I've used to boot live sessions over the last 3 years. Not single problem using Unetbootin (no persistence file needed). I'd try another USB stick, use Unetbootin and see what happens.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bluedevil678
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluedevil678 »

I WOULD MARRY OLIVIA!

SHE LOOKS GOOD
SHE DOES WHAT SHE IS SUPPOSED TO
AND DOESN'T MAKE A SOUND

Well done team!!!
Some people say I have a sick and twisted personality ...
I say I have the personality of a little girl,
In a Jar.
On my Desk.
mlcamilli

Post by mlcamilli »

Fantastic update, only problem I am seeing is now my brightness controls no longer work, they did in Mint 14 tho. Any thoughts? I did a fresh install
El Zoido

Post by El Zoido »

I had it happen once or twice that the program that was supposed to write the image to an usb stick that already contained an older (linux) image didn't do so, but unfortunately failed to produce an error message.
The last time it happened when I used unetbootin on Win7 to write an image onto an stick that already contained an older Mint image.
I guess it was caused by not formating the stick (which Windows couldn't read due to the file-system?) prior to writing the new image.
Espair

Post by Espair »

It's here!! Now to download both MATE and Cinnamon versions and see which I like better, busy day today xD

Thanks Mint Team!
Last edited by Espair on Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”