Why is SD card not detected as removable drive?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mistert

Why is SD card not detected as removable drive?

Post by mistert »

Hi,

I'm running Linuxmint 14 (32-bit). The SD card auto-mounts on insertion, to /media/<username>/<uuid>. However, it is not detected as a removable drive (flag must be set to 0?). This is problematic because I have some software that will only write a security key to a removable drive and there is no way to ignore the requirement.

Does anyone know why this is the case and how I might go about fixing it :?: (I'm still a bit newbish when it comes to linux, so detailed instructions would be much appreciated).

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mistert

Re: Why is SD card not detected as removable drive?

Post by mistert »

Any ideas?
Giorat

Post by Giorat »

My problem is similar. The reader implemented in my brand new HP notebook does not see the sd card if I use Mint 64 Nadia but reads perfectly with Windows. Both OS are on two different HD. It had never happened with other notebooks on which was mounted Mint 14. I guess could be due to a missing driver or something in the Bios. But I explored the bios carefully and did not find anything. Point out that the sd card is read perfectly if I put in a USB external reader. I ask for help
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

also seen this issue with a SD card, - works just fine in a usb_external reader,
just not with the one built into the laptop.

changing to a higher version of Mint did nothing, so I'm, still using the external reader ..
haven't tried Mint 14 or 15, as they won't run on my non_pae laptop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Please re-read what the OP said.

Your problems have nothing in common: your card-reader is probably using either an "exotic" OEM or Windows-only firmware so it is not managed by native kernel drivers.

The OP has a working card-reader and his problem is that the inserted card is seen as a fixed drive and not as a removable media...
@mistert: can you paste here the content of your /etc/fstab ?
mistert

Post by mistert »

eanfrid wrote:@mistert: can you paste here the content of your /etc/fstab ?
Thanks for comprehending my issue : )

I can probably dig up my fstab but I don't think there is any reference to the SD card there because LM only auto-mounts the card when I insert it so I think the mount entry is probably written temporarily to another location. There is a flag in a file somewhere (0 or 1) which indicates whether the drive is removeable, however this is written by a process that is unknown to me. I'll check out the fstab anyway, see if there's anything noteworthy in there to post here.
mistert

Post by mistert »

There's nothing in my fstab related to the SD card and I'm not sure how and where the auto-mount happens.

Return to “Hardware Support”