Problems with powering off

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problems with powering off

Postby jakethesnizake on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Sorry to bother you all, but I have had a problem with powering off my desktop with linux mint installed. Every time I try and power it down, it always just reboots instead. It has had this same problem for a couple different distributions of mint. Does anyone have any idea how to solve that?
jakethesnizake
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problems with powering off

Postby Lukfi on Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm

What happens if you use "sudo shutdown -h now" from the terminal? (If it still reboots, it might be a freak hardware problem)
Why is this happening to me?
Lukfi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems with powering off

Postby wilbobob on Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm

I had the same problem, not every time, but when it happens it's a pain. sometimes it would restart 2 or 3 times before I killed the mains.I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I'm powered through a UPS. I was living with it, and turning off at the mains when the restart happened. Recently while doing something else I noticed that in the BIOS my boot preferences were set to CD - HDD - Other. With the 'Other' boot disabled the problem hasn't re-occurred. Re-enable 'Other' and the problem is back. Naturally the boot menu and the motherboard manual give no clues as to what 'Other' means.
My motherboard is an MSI G41M-P28 with American Megatrends Inc bios

EDIT
It's the printer! Printer on - won't shut down. Mains light on start button goes off at shutdown, flashes twice at 2 second intervals and machine boots up again, Printer off no problems. It's a Canon ip4700 -CUPS+Gutenprint v5 2.8-pre1 if that's significant.
wilbobob
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics