pidgin

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minantra

pidgin

Post by minantra »

I am trying to use Pidgin to chat to friends with MSN and Yahoo messengers, I have put the correct details into the MSN account section
but I always get an error message saying -
(MSN) disconnected
unable to authenticate: the email address or password is incorrect.
Pidgin will not attempt to reconnect the account.

I have doubled checked my account details and they are fine and correct but Pidgin still wont connect.
Help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: pidgin

Post by Alpha-Geek »

When using Pidgin, you must enter your complete MSN/Hotmail Address for user name. For example: JSmith@MSN.com. Simply entering JSmith won't get you logged in.
minantra

Post by minantra »

Hi Alpha-Geek, thx for your reply.
I am already putting in my full msn username, and of course the correct password, the only box I have not filled in is the local alias box.
I dont know what I should put in there?
Aslo, on the advanced tab, where there is server, port, http method server, should I change these settings that are already filled in?
Help please
Cheers.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I always mess up what goes where, so I prefer to just enter the first part, especially my MSN account, where Pidgin automatically adds @hotmail.com to your login name if you don't provide an email address. I enter the same word at Local alias (?) and Screen name (?) and see where it adds the @hotmail.com, then change that accordingly.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
minantra

Post by minantra »

I still cant get MSN messenger to work with Pidgin!
Yahoo messenger works fine, but why doesnt MSN?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Pidgin is a dog with MSN accounts.

Pidgin on both Windows and Linux just refuses to sign in with my MSN account, and trying any app that is based on Pidgins libpurple code also fails to work. When in Linux I have to use Emessanger or Meebo.

Although, it can work with MSN!I have another MSN account I use from time to time for a different set of contacts and that generally signs in OK, although often it will take at least two attempts to get it to sign in.

In all honesty your best bet might be to install the Windows version of MSN under Wine. That is probably better anyways because you get all the additional features like webcams, custom emoticons, etc.

Sorry I couldnt be more help. Pidgin not liking MSN is something that pisses me off no end. It seems to be very arbitrary over which MSN accounts it will work with and which it wont. I would like to raise the issue with the developers but they don't seem to have any decent way to get in touch with them.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Count yourself lucky.

Return to “Beginner Questions”