Classic mintMenu on Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guimaster

Re: Classic mintMenu on Cinnamon

Post by guimaster »

Every time I saw a review of Cinnamon, I thought to myself: "Ugly." Well, after seeing the pics in this thread, I'm not thinking that anymore. The Mint Menu was well loved in the past and having it work in Cinnamon will earn high praise for Linux Mint for years to come. It's just too bad that they wasted so much time on the new Menu, and didn't try harder to get this to work in the past.
blackoutworm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blackoutworm »

Can someone make a tutorial on how to do this now?
ClassicMenu@dalcde gives me an error while I try to install the applet.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

blackoutworm wrote:Can someone make a tutorial on how to do this now?
ClassicMenu@dalcde gives me an error while I try to install the applet.
I have the same problem with Mint 15. I don't know if there is a solution. I found another menu that's similar to the Windows 7 menu, but it's not wide enough so it shortens category names. Anyway, I'm happy enough with the default menu for now. Hopefully someone can help you. I would just suspect that the applet is buggy and you will probably have to wait for a new version of it. You could try to manually download and install the applet from here:

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

I've only tried to add via System Settings.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I guess you can forget about this menu: it's abandoned. The last version came out 29.07.2012, that's 10 months ago and IIRC that's even before Cinnamon 1.6 release. So no wonder it yields an error.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

I've tried installing it manually, and while it does install, it causes Cinnamon to crash in Mint 15. I hope someone will pick this project back up, because I have been using it since Mint 11 and would love to continue going forward.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I'm also experiencing installation failure via Cinnamon Settings/Applets in Linux Mint 15 (just verifying the failure for myself since I found this thread). A bit weird though as installation keeps asking for my password which it never takes and then, after around 3 tries or so, it errors out:
An error occurred during installation or updating. You may wish to report this incident to the developer of classicMenu@dalcde.

If this was an update, the previous installation is unchanged

Details: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmpK2GrHR/metadata.json'
This is the only applet in the entire set that actually (apparently) "requires" a password to install. All the others just install. I'm sure this is caused by the applet not being compatible with Cinnamon 1.8. Seems to me that if an applet author decides to abandon development of their applet(s), they should at least announce such and ask if anyone else is interested in picking up development. If no one is interested after a certain period of time, the applet should be pulled out of circulation.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
SilentThunderStorm

Post by SilentThunderStorm »

Is there a resolution anywhere on the horizon?

It would seem really stupid for Cinnamon to not be able to run Mint Menu... after all, Mint's best feature is their menu (just like Ubuntu's is their Software Center), and Cinnamon is one of the crowning jewels of Mint.

I hate to say it, but the current menu is simply not an adequate replacement for me... which leaves me choosing between Distro's not based on which one I like the best or provides more functionality, but which one I dislike the least, or will cause me to lose the least functionality.

That's a very bad trend for Linux in general.

Do we have any idea what is causing the issue? I would be willing to install pretty much any library I needed to to keep my *THIS* setup, and simply add the Mint Menu that should have been a part of it.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

SilentThunderStorm wrote:Is there a resolution anywhere on the horizon?

It would seem really stupid for Cinnamon to not be able to run Mint Menu... after all, Mint's best feature is their menu (just like Ubuntu's is their Software Center), and Cinnamon is one of the crowning jewels of Mint.

I hate to say it, but the current menu is simply not an adequate replacement for me... which leaves me choosing between Distro's not based on which one I like the best or provides more functionality, but which one I dislike the least, or will cause me to lose the least functionality.

That's a very bad trend for Linux in general.

Do we have any idea what is causing the issue? I would be willing to install pretty much any library I needed to to keep my *THIS* setup, and simply add the Mint Menu that should have been a part of it.
Linux4UnMe has been complaining about the Cinnamon Menu in his distro reviews for a long time now. You would think that Clem would want to build on the old style menu rather than keep what they have now, or at least improve what they have now, but it hasn't been a priority. Now, it's not unreasonable that it hasn't been a priority because there are other important things that have been worked on. But yes, many people would like to see that traditional menu returned, or some improvements on the newer menu.

Honestly, I hated and complained about the current Cinnamon Menu for a long time, but I've gotten used to it and I don't think about it much any more.

Return to “Software & Applications”