Any way to install MATE alongside cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GandalfDaGreat

Any way to install MATE alongside cinnamon?

Post by GandalfDaGreat »

I recently installed the Cinnamon version of Mint 13, and while most things work well, it has a few too many bugs at this stage for my taste. Is there any way to install the MATE environment alongside Cinnamon to be selected per-session?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Any way to install MATE alongside cinnamon?

Post by BrianD »

yes.

open a terminal window, and type: sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate

once that installation has completed, you can click on the "cog / gear" icon on the login screen, and choose MATE as your Desktop Environment.
GandalfDaGreat

Post by GandalfDaGreat »

Thank you.
NixPix

Post by NixPix »

Complete linux noob here so pls bare with me ;) Running Mint 13 Cinnamon, and wanted to try Mate, so followed the instruction in this thread. All went well up until the first update of the system. When trying to update I get this error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gconf-service_3.2.5-1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gconf/gconfd-2', which is also in package gconf-service-backend 3.2.5-0ubuntu2

What do I do?
willerman

Post by willerman »

Some more things to do if you want the exact look of the original Mint MATE Desktop (at least on Mint 15):

- delete the the panel on the top (right click on the panel and select (Delete This Panel")
- add to the panel on the bottom (by right clicking on the panel and clicking "Add to Panel..."):
> mintMenu
> Notification Area
> Clock
- delete the "Workspac Selector" (right click "Remove From Panel). Of course you can leave this item if you like or need it :)

Remove the three added items on the panel to the designated position (that is very left for the mintMenu, very right for the clock and the notification area). You might have to untick "Lock To Panel" on items which might block the rearrangement (i.e. the 'Show Desktop')
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

If you want both Mate and Cinnamon, it is easier to install Mate and then Cinnamon. If you do it the other way around, it is more involved to get Mate configured the way it would look with an original Mate install. I have both but only download Mate install images.

DrT

Return to “Cinnamon”