Question about update warning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Question about update warning

Post by seba »

After the install of mint daryna, my first steps as a linux user, I now am updating through the mint update program.
But now I have gotten a warning "you are about to install software that can't be authenticated".
if I look at the 'not authenticated' dropdown list I see these:
mintassistent
mintdesktop
mintinstall
mintmenu
mintupdate

Below "Summary" it says
2 packages will be held back and not upgraded
47 packages will be upgraded.

So it seems Mint update warns me about 5 Mint updates of which 2 will not be installed????
I feel lost after 5 steps on the linux path and have no idea what to install or not (does level 1/2/3 mean it is allready authenticated?)
Level 1 is most stable/secure, I have read and searched about it but is the warning to be taken cautiously or not?
Could anyone explain this please, I have no clue whether to continue updating.... :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
Husse

Re: Question about update warning

Post by Husse »

We obviously have to be more newbie friendly and explain more...
Can't be authenticated - most repositories have a pgp key or some such. The Mint repos do not - that's why that warning appears. Maybe we should skip that for our own repos if that's possible
Two held back is because they are for the kernel and it's version is locked - they would be a category 5.
What the levels mean can be seen if you click preferences. Only level 1,2 and 3 do appear in mintUpdate by default and please don't change that
So install the updates - there is a bit to download but not overly much
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

Husse wrote:We obviously have to be more newbie friendly and explain more...
Can't be authenticated - most repositories have a pgp key or some such. The Mint repos do not - that's why that warning appears. Maybe we should skip that for our own repos if that's possible
Two held back is because they are for the kernel and it's version is locked - they would be a category 5.
What the levels mean can be seen if you click preferences. Only level 1,2 and 3 do appear in mintUpdate by default and please don't change that
So install the updates - there is a bit to download but not overly much
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated!
I was pleasantly surprised having installed Daryna, it seems to work, whatever I want to do, Internet, mp3, video. incredible.
Thinking it would be a rougher start, maybe I'm allready spoiled :wink:
I will try to get out of the newbie questions section as fast as possible.
thanks again for the fast reply.

seba
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

andyvr4 wrote:
seba wrote:I was pleasantly surprised having installed Daryna, it seems to work, whatever I want to do, Internet, mp3, video. incredible.
That's one of the things that makes mint so wonderful. With it things do just work.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it.
That and it's a lot prettier than yellow and brown. lol :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

There's more to it than just adding a key.... (Don't remember the story, but...)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install program1
replacing program 1 with menu's proper name. That's how I did it. thought now I'm haveing some python problems :'(

Return to “Beginner Questions”