Mint 15 Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dwright99

Mint 15 Software Manager

Post by dwright99 »

I have installed Mint 15 Cinnamon on two old Compaq laptops that previously had 13 and 14. Never had an issue previously installing software but on both 15 machines Software Manager doesn't work. From the menu icon I either get nothing or I get the splash screen that runs forever but never brings up the actual manager screen. I can run mintinstall from terminal mode and it runs fine (I guess I just answered my own question). Has anyone else seen this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Snoozer

Re: Mint 15 Software Manager

Post by Snoozer »

I have the same issue on my Samsung RV511 laptop.

How do you run mintinstall from the terminal?

how do you get rid of the software manager splash screen and get it to startup properly?
super-karlos

Post by super-karlos »

I had the same issue, but found a reinstall fixed it.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall
Snoozer

Post by Snoozer »

I tried the above but it didn't work for me. I still get the splash screen that stays on the screen forever. I don't know what it's name is in the process/jobs list so I can't kill it.

I have clicked on the software manager icon for a second time, even when the splash screen has been displayed for several minutes, and the a new instance of the software manager (sometimes) starts up, but the old splash screen remains on the desktop.

I know others have this problem (in other threads), but I have not seen replies to them or any remedy provided. Can any Linux expert out there offer any advice/assistance?
theoldfellow

Post by theoldfellow »

I had this. The reinstall solution worked for me.
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

I'm having the same problem. Reinstalling does nothing. It's been going on since the RC, and I've seen complaints about it since the RC... very few replies.
Snoozer

Post by Snoozer »

I've resorted to clicking the Software Manager Icon again from the menu, even thought the splash screen is still present from the previous time I tried to start it. Clicking for a second time usually starts the Software Manager (MintInstall). After I finish and close the app window, the old splash screen is still there, so I start 'top' in terminal, look for the job id/(PID) for 'splash.py' then kill that job: 'sudo kill PID
Åbjørn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Åbjørn »

It didn't work for me either. I'll revert to version 13 as I need a stable distro.
Åbjørn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Åbjørn »

I'm now running Mint 13. I picked 15 because it was the latest version but I didn't understand that it was the unstable version. It should be clearer in the download menu that you can't expect 14 or 15 to be stable.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

super-karlos wrote:I had the same issue, but found a reinstall fixed it.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintinstall
Say that three times fast, lol.

I have read quite a few threads from people who are having to deal with issues relating to Software Manager and/or Synaptic Package Manager. Since being able to install/remove things is a pretty basic function, will there be a set of "Mint 15.1" .ISOs released that come with properly working versions of them? (And, possibly, including all updates of preinstalled components available at the time of those (potential) .ISOs release?)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”