Linux 15 Mate and Synaptic Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Linux 15 Mate and Synaptic Problem

Post by Harley51 »

I installed Linux 15 Mate today. I was using Synaptic to add packages and it constancy locks up to where you have to reboot. Any Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Maclone
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux 15 Mate and Synaptic Problem

Post by Maclone »

I do confirm this. I have installed several times from a burned and tested DVD and another from an USB tested image. There is no error log output, Synaptic just crashes. The only thing i see its an obscure bug: "es_MX.utf8 not supported." Actually if you want to change to english from spanish or viceversa the whole desktop only changes half english and spanish. Maybe Synaptic crashes because a locales bug?
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Harley51 »

Thanks I was just getting ready to reinstall. I think I'll wait until KDE comes out. I also noticed when I was using the other software manager it locked up also. It hung on downloading.
Maclone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maclone »

This bug seems critical Clem.
fraze

Post by fraze »

Maclone wrote:This bug seems critical Clem.
Steps to reproduce?
Xironman

Post by Xironman »

fraze wrote:
Steps to reproduce?
1. Open Synaptic Package Manager.
2. Add a random assortment of packages to install.
3. After a couple on minutes of doing this, it locks up!

To recover (no need to reboot) type:

Code: Select all

sudo fuser –vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock
Maclone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maclone »

Xironman wrote:
fraze wrote:
Steps to reproduce?
1. Open Synaptic Package Manager.
2. Add a random assortment of packages to install.
3. After a couple on minutes of doing this, it locks up!

To recover (no need to reboot) type:

sudo fuser –vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock
Yup, that's all. It just crashes without an error output (gksu synaptic from terminal it's the same, no error output)
(Mint 15 Mate 64 bit spanish translated.)
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Harley51 »

This work around works but you have to pick small amounts of packages to install other wise it locks up again. Each time the install is done you need to run the kill process to install more packages. Does anyone know when a fix will out.
Harley51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Harley51 »

I also discovered that this problem is Mate specific.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I can also confirm this bug.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
andy1m

Post by andy1m »

Keep crashing, just want to add Netspeed to my panel and it crashed 5 times!!! I have to reboot the system.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

I cannot even use synaptic. I keep getting this error

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

The fix does not work.
Xironman

Post by Xironman »

There is no fix yet, just a workaround to avoid rebooting!
Maclone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maclone »

Yesterday i was testing WattOS into another computer which i own and had the same problem with Synaptic 0.80-exp2, it crashes without a warning or log. It looks like a problem with this version of Synaptic and not specific to Mint Mate 15. Mint 15 cinnamon does not have this problem.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

Xironman wrote:There is no fix yet, just a workaround to avoid rebooting!
What I post was a pop up that said this is how to fix it. So what is it just BS?
mcbro

Post by mcbro »

I have cinnamon and it happens there as well. It seems I can run synaptic reasonably well, but software manager often just hangs and reboot seems the only fix. (I didn't know about the lock file.) Related or perhaps unrelated is the fact that bash can not seem to run certain binaries. It always says File not found, even if you have the correct path to the executable. This occurs even if you run it using sudo.

Oh one other thing, search is useless on this forum. It bans so many search terms that I can't search for anything. So there are too many cuda references? What about cuda libraries? Stack multiple terms together should reduce the hits if they are required.

Ok the bash problem is actually a library issue. Some binaries use 32 bit libraries, even when they claim to be 64 bit. Installing the supposedly deprecated ia386-libs package fixed some of that for me. I don't think this fixes the fact that software manager hangs indefinitely on cinnamon.
Nabb

Post by Nabb »

I get this error when i launch synaptic package manager. Does anyone know what this error is and where to find a fix?

Thanks

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_raring-updates_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fUS
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Synaptic won't even open for me. It just flashes then disappears. If I run in terminal

sudo apt-get update

it does nothing. If I run in terminal

sudo synaptic
I get this

mark@mark-System-Product-Name ~ $ sudo synaptic

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xe8c500 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf274f0 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf27d40 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf27e70 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf74280 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xe8c500 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf274f0 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf27d40 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf27e70 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0xc2a4a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xf74280 is not mapped

(synaptic:2920): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:2920): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:2920): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

mark@mark-System-Product-Name ~ $ 
este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

BubbaBlues wrote:Synaptic won't even open for me. It just flashes then disappears. If I run in terminal

sudo apt-get update

it does nothing. If I run in terminal

sudo synaptic
]
BB:

I'm in the process of comparing the LM 15 Cinn & MATE LiveDVDs to try to figure out which one I want to install on my MBPro . . . . Right now I'm booted in the MATE 64 bit LiveDVD in English, so I ran your test commands and the update ran through the list of commands . . . and the sudo synaptic command . . . opened synaptic in the GUI . . . . So all is well in LiveDVD MATE-land. Is it only in Spanish version that this problem is happening?? doesn't seem likely?? Only after installation?? possibly? Don't know if the MATE version isn't getting the same attention level to detail as the Cinn version?? possibly.

[Edit: Minutes later, I have to revise my findings, when closing out of the synaptic window I see that it covered the Terminal window, which did show the same errors that you found

(synaptic:3748): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x9604a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0xcae2b0 is not mapped
but, still the Synaptic window is open-able and I typed "chrom" and it auto-filled for "chromium-browser" . . . since I'm in LiveDVD I don't want to "install" anything . . . so . . . is all OK on the Synaptic front?? now, I don't know.]

e.e.p.
MacPro '12 multiboot various linux OSs with some aging OSX's . . . .
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I'm not sure how it acts in live dvd mode because I installed it right away. I rarely run a live disc of any Mint version much
because I've just grown to expect no problems. 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”