Newbie; I want to organize my DVDs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jolimont

Newbie; I want to organize my DVDs

Post by Jolimont »

Hello,

I recently installed Mint 6 on an old hand-me-down Dell desktop, works well, looks good, I like it.
Eventually I want to have a media server so I can rip the hundreds of commercial DVDs that we've bought over the years (no Blue-Ray) and stream them from a home server. I can't do that right now, I don't have the hardware or the know-how, but I hope to get there.

My question today is this: I'd like to start cataloging my DVD collection the same way libraries catalog their books. I want to do as little typing as possible. I was hoping to find something where I can insert my DVD into the drive and let it recognize what it is, pull the data from IMDb (or some such) and build my personal list from that. Then I'd like to be able to query and sort the list in several ways, and add a custom field that tells me where the DVD is physically located. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Annie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Newbie; I want to organize my DVDs

Post by grimdestripador »

the program cdcat is greate for making a catalog.

the program xmbc does imdb retreivals.
Jolimont

Post by Jolimont »

Thank you, will try them.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If you are talking about video DVDs, have a look to griffith (I use it since many years). Great software, IMO. It is in LM repos

http://www.griffith.cc/ for more information.

Return to “Sound”