Unable to completely remove gdesklets.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
al688

Unable to completely remove gdesklets.

Post by al688 »

I successfully installed and configured the ones I wanted, but when I installed the Infodomestics Bar I was unable to configure or move it. I could not remove it from the screen and had to remove all gdesklets using synaptic. When I re installed gdesklets they reappeared with the previous configurations, including the offending bar!! I have read on other posts that there is a file in the home folder that needs to be removed, big problem is I cannot find it to remove it.
Any advice for this very new newbie greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Unable to completely remove gdesklets.

Post by Husse »

I don't know which folders may be involved
To avoid this situation use the option in Synaptic to completely remove, including config files
al688

Post by al688 »

I tried the option to completely remove using synaptic, however this did not resolve the problem. Thanks anyway, I should have mentioned that I tried that in my original post.
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

maybe there's a config file that is hidden in your home directory?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Did you try using the locate command to find the file. In a terminal enter:

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb
then

Code: Select all

locate infodomestics
This will list all files:

like or similar to:
/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/infodomesticsbar
/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/infodomesticsbar/InfodomesticsBar.display
/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/infodomesticsbar/README
/usr/share/gdesklets/Displays/infodomesticsbar/preview.jpg
al688

Post by al688 »

Thanks for that. Cannot find anything related to the infodomestics bar though. :?
To be honest the gdesklets in general seem pretty buggy and I think I can live without them. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”