Thinkpad T400 can't reboot after install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
huayangmeng

Thinkpad T400 can't reboot after install

Post by huayangmeng »

Thinkpad T400 can't reboot after install Linux Mint Debian 15

When I complete the system installation, click on the reset button, the screen is stuck. Screen display:the system is come down for reboot Now ! but it can't restart...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thinkpad T400 can't reboot after install

Post by M_aD »

There is no Linux Mint Debian 15. Only Linux Mint 15 Olivia which is Ubuntu based and LMDE 201303 (Linux Mint Debian Edition) which is based on Debian. So.... what version is it that you have tried to install?
huayangmeng

Post by huayangmeng »

Mr. B wrote:There is no Linux Mint Debian 15. Only Linux Mint 15 Olivia which is Ubuntu based and LMDE 201303 (Linux Mint Debian Edition) which is based on Debian. So.... what version is it that you have tried to install?
Thanks! I have installed LMDE 201303 on my laptop,but when i completed installing and reboot computer, the screen is stuck and display:the system is come down for reboot Now ! but it can't restart...

but i try it in linux mint (compatible mode) today, i work ok~ Compatibility mode is what mean?
eriksank
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eriksank »

Mr. B wrote:LMDE 201303 (Linux Mint Debian Edition) which is based on Debian.
When I tested the LMDE 2013-03 live USB and on both my ASUS F8V and my Lenovo S10-3C, both the shutdown and reboot procedures froze the system and did not manage to power it down. Unfortunately, this is is a show-stopper for LMDE 2013-03. The ability for the laptops to shutdown, is really required.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

When I tested the LMDE 2013-03 live USB and on both my ASUS F8V and my Lenovo S10-3C, both the shutdown and reboot procedures froze the system and did not manage to power it down. Unfortunately, this is is a show-stopper for LMDE 2013-03. The ability for the laptops to shutdown, is really required.
it's a know bug from the live cd you can use 'sudo halt' to shut it down or press the REISUB combo.
simonbromilow

Post by simonbromilow »

I have noticed this but found a simple fix. Do the following

Install Linux Mint as normal
When you get a message giving 2 options "restart now" and "continue testing" click continue testing
Wait about 5 seconds then choose shutdown from the menu and it will give you the disc back with "press enter to continue prompt"

Only choose shutdown from the menu otherwise you will end up back where you were
The restarting from live cd in mint does not work perfectly for some reason but hope it gets fixed :mrgreen:

Just to point out this has happened on ASROCK motherboard with AMD chip and on a Gateway Intel Laptop wether installing 32 or 64 bit
WangWang626

Post by WangWang626 »

In case there is still someone looking for answers to this same problem that I have recently encountered after installed LinuxMint 17.1. A solution is to use the Boot-Repair tool to just click one button and fix it. It worked for me.

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

http://mintguide.org/tools/37-restore-g ... ndows.html

In my case is that in my first installation it worked well but then I tried to expand my primary C partition and it damaged my Hard Drive then I had to buy a new Hard Drive and reinstalled my Window 7 and LinuxMint and then this same problem started. I re-installed Linux many time but it always froze and refused to shut down and restart by itself. After powered down and on by force, it always start Windows 7 without option to start Linux. I almost gave up totally on Linux and remember this is my first time ever to try Linux after many years of hesitation.

Thanks to Boot-repair that saved me and my confidence in Linux. It is so great. My wife loves it too since she complained slow response on her Windows 7 laptop recently. You know, a happy wife, a happy family!

Return to “LMDE Archive”