"Wireless Network Authentication Required" dialog opening

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toastkid

"Wireless Network Authentication Required" dialog opening

Post by toastkid »

Hi all. When i'm at home, my laptop with Mint keeps trying to reconnect to my wireless router: every few minutes the box pops up saying "Authentication required by local network". It's remembered the password, i just have to hit OK.

This is **really** p*ssing me off. Can i configure it to just connect automatically, given that it knows what the password is, and stop hassling me?

grateful for any advice - max
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: "Wireless Network Authentication Required" dialog openin

Post by ultraviolet »

i sometimes get this on my netbook running Mint 12 LXDE, if you leave it and don't type anything in loads of the windows pop up.

when i get this problem i just restart my machine and all is fine again
“Your as addicted as I am”
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
toastkid

Post by toastkid »

ultraviolet wrote:i sometimes get this on my netbook running Mint 12 LXDE, if you leave it and don't type anything in loads of the windows pop up.

when i get this problem i just restart my machine and all is fine again
Hmm, not a brilliant solution though is it. :/

Thanks for replying though, i wasn't having a go, just having a moan :)
vomitspit

Post by vomitspit »

I've had a similar issue after having just switched to Mint from Windows Vista.

In certain areas of my house I will have the same pop up asking me to imput the Wifi password and the signal will go in and out every few minutes. I'm fairly certain it has to do with signal strength, which is odd because when I was running Vista I had no issues connecting in the same places.

Not sure how to fix it. As of now I've simply moved my setup to another room where I recieve a better signal from my wireless router.
ktwalker

Post by ktwalker »

Oh my god. This has royally p*ssed me off as well for some time now. I'm at my wits end. This happens whenever it loses the wireless signal, never fails. How did this get past beta testing and put into a stable versoin 13 release is WAY BEYOND ME! When this happens, it is not like the windows stop. The same message for the same network pops up as many times as the system checks. So my task bar at the bottom fills up with a hundred of those windows overnight sometimes, which surprisingly also consumes LOADS of memory and makes my laptop crawl until I close all of them. I'm afraid of what would happen if I left the laptop alone for two whole days unattended in a spotty wireless environment--seems likely it would crash. Chr*st!!

Kris

Return to “Networking”