Cinnamon's memory usage

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cinnamon's memory usage

Post by AlbertP »

You can follow the Cinnamon development on https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon. Pull request #595 fixes a memory leak but isn't yet pulled.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

AlbertP wrote:You can follow the Cinnamon development on https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon. Pull request #595 fixes a memory leak but isn't yet pulled.
Thanks for the info
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just for information, #595 is just pulled so this (small) leak will be fixed in Mint 13.
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

Is there any word on the Expo memory leak being pulled? For the next version of Cinnamon.
zer0nix

Post by zer0nix »

does this problem still exist in linuxmint 13 or has it been resolved? a lot of newer threads still indicate that mate feels faster than cinnamon but i'm not seeing any mention of a taskbar responsiveness issue.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes, my commits fixing a leak aren't in mint 13 yet. But they may end up there as an update.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

Still not fixed in LM13 I see.
Shakelikee

Post by Shakelikee »

According to the System monitor I am using 1.3 gigs of RAM. I am not. Image Anyone got any idea why?
Talence

Post by Talence »

My Cinnamon usage is currently in the range of 3.3GB. It makes the system unworkable.

I've installed all updates via the regular package manager, but still have this problem.

Is there any progress on fixing this leak?

My distro is Linux Mint 13 Maya, 64 bits.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Shakelikee: By default only your user processes are shown, no system processes and processes by other users. You can use the View menu on the top of System Monitor to see them.

@ Talente, is 3.3GB the memory usage of your whole system? Then please look at Processes what the memory usage of just the "cinnamon" process is (for example in Shakelikee's screenshot above your post, it's 38MiB). If "cinnamon" still has a high memory usage please try upgrading to Cinnamon 1.6: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2177
vayth

Post by vayth »

wow.. I thought I'm the only one with this strangeness..

I'm using mint 14, and cinnamon took about 200MB..
I thought it was notmal.. but when I tried to install Unity, compiz only took about 100MB (with all lens etc, maybe about 150 total)
That's when I feel weird, since people always said unity is heavy..
launching mint menu also gives me a brief lag about 1 sec,while it took me instantly when launching unity dash..

maybe I did something wrong with my installation?

sorry for bumping old topic, since I'm not sure whether to create a new one, and the last post isn't 6 month old yet..
oddhack

Post by oddhack »

Cinnamon is making my computer unusable at the moment. It was fine until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what I've done to deserve this.
When I log in, everything seems fine, but within a minute or two cinnamon's %MEM in htop has gone up to 40% or so, and the VIRT column climbs to nearly 8000MB. Then a minute or two later, the %MEM goes to 80+ and then the VIRT goes to 15.9GB and turns red. Then everything goes very s l o w l y.
Everything else in htop seems fine.

I'm on Nadia 64bit and have 4GB of actual RAM plus 8GB swap partition.

Any ideas?
thinkit_1

Post by thinkit_1 »

AlbertP wrote:Just for information, #595 is just pulled so this (small) leak will be fixed in Mint 13.
With respect to Cinnamon's memory usage issue, I'm seeing the same as others: increase memory usage as a function of time. Restarting cinnamon gets me back to around 64MB (easy enough hack). Currently using LMDE 2013-03 and cinnamon 1.72. The memory issues was present in both the default 1.67 and after upgrading to 1.72 from debian sid.

You stated that #595 addresses a 'small' leak. I would classify what it more like a 'large' \:\) leak. When do you anticipate a fix for this bug(s).

Thanks much for the updates. :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That issue #595 mentioned by me was about another memory leak present long ago; it fixed that one leak but there may be other leaks or similar problems remaining.
marios_tesla

Post by marios_tesla »

i have installed linux mint 15 2 days ago and i am having this problem(cinnamon ram usage increasing by time), anyone figured out a possible solution?
would a clean install fix the problem or it's something to do hardware configuration(doesn't sound very logical but even...)?
i tried stopping some services/applications i installed but didn't fix the problem
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

I use the "Restart Cinnamon" applet and it clears it up until I have to restart it again.
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

right now it would seem cinnamon is going through a bad patch! i cant get it stable on my system at all.

kde is an ok alternative until you start messing with it and quite quickly you can get some screw ups (not the end of the world, but steam big picture doesnt work on kde for me but does on cinnamon and xfce) also things tend to hide in workspaces.

so that leaves Mate / gnome 3 / xcfe

out of all the testing i have done over the last few months only crunchbang, xfce and mate have been stable.. funny how they are not as fancy but work. Im a linux nut, but i can see a lot of people getting turned off by linux at the moment with all this DE flux and instability
TomANJ

Post by TomANJ »

This is also present in LMDE with Cinnamon 1.6. Ran Mint 13 Cinnamon in a live session for a couple of days and did not have the problem with Cinnamon 1.4. Sorry to hear this is still an issue with Mint 15. Was hoping the problem was fixed with 1.8.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

I am running 13 and it's a problem.
cuvy

Post by cuvy »

I'm running debian edition and noticed this issue started a month or two back after doing some updates. For me, memory usage for the cinnamon process climbs to around 1.1Gb in 10-12 hours. I'm running and amd64 kernel. Unfortunately after said updates, cinnamon now crashes on a restart command (alt-F2, r), so I have to log out and log back in to clear the memory. Looking at System Monitor -> memory maps for the cinnamon process, it seems that the bulk of the memory is in the heap, private dirty area (621mb of 1.1GB process)

Sorry I can't be more specific about the details, but if necessary can dig some specifics out.

Return to “Cinnamon”