Calendar clock on the Panel is stuck

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bikush

Calendar clock on the Panel is stuck

Post by Bikush »

The problem is that my clock is stuck. When I fiddle with the "Date and Time Settings" (i.e. I change the format) the time changes to the correct value but is still stuck at that value. Example of stuckyness on image below:
clock.png
I searched for similar problems but I could not find any solutions. I just hope that this is not the way the clock is meant to be :P
I tried changing the format of the clock and toggle the network time, but it did not help. Moreover, the "Use network time" could not be turned off. Maybe if I could disable the use of network time the clock would work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: Calendar clock on the Panel is stuck

Post by abnvolk »

Have you tried changing the time in System Settings - Time?
Bikush

Post by Bikush »

Yes. No change there.

I noticed now that on "Date and Time" settings the "Network time" is turned off, while on the Cinammon Calendar settings the "Use network time" is turned on. Could this be an issue?
zabeel

Post by zabeel »

Same problem here. I tried to uncheck the Network Time option under Clock settings of Cinnamon. But after a minute, it defaults back to network time and the clock is stuck. And changing both clock settings to use Network Time also did not help..
Bikush

Post by Bikush »

Hmmm... Strange thing happened. The clock started working again... :?: How, I have no idea.

What I did was mess around some more with the settings in SYSTEM's Time and Date (turned the network time on/off, changed the time couple of times) and a bit with the Cinnamons settings. After a restart, everything worked.
Ah, computers.

P.S. I will not rename the subject solved since there is also zabeel who has this problem. And what happened to me is not really a solution.
Tom_Accuosti

Post by Tom_Accuosti »

I just installed LM14 last week, and I've been having the same problem.

I managed to figure out the clock time formatting on my own, but nothing I did seemed to make any difference with the time display itself. It's always 5 to 45 minutes behind the local time, and I never see the clock change when I'm actually using the machine.

Running LM 14 Cinnamon on an older Dell Precision M70 laptop.
alan_wambold

Post by alan_wambold »

I am also having this problem with LM-14 Cinnamon.:( The clock on the panel either gets stuck or does not reflect the actual time. In the screenshot below, the time in the Cinnamon Settings is correct, and the clock on the panel in wrong. When I uncheck "Use network time" it does not stay unchecked and the time is never the same as is displayed in the Cinnamon Settings. After making this screenshot (Between 20:58 and 21:14) the panel clock changed from 8:12pm to 9:12pm.
clock.png
felenskool

Post by felenskool »

Alan,

In the date format, try using %M instead of %m. That's what fixed mine.
jamesobooth

Post by jamesobooth »

I'm bringing up an old problem. Sorry.

Just installed Olivia 64-bit Cinnamon. My panel clock is stuck. Yeah, I've searched and tried a few things but CANNOT get the clock to update correctly. I've installed on another machine, 32-bit Cinnamon, and the clock is just fine. I've tried to recreate with the same editing but cannot. The 32-bit machine is perfect.

I've tried "%a %b %e, %I:%m %p" in the date format for the panel. I've tried a M. Anyone else still experiencing this?

EDIT: I switched over to Mate which works fine. Uninstalling/reinstalling Cinnamon didn't help. My settings were kept.

SOLUTION: Here's what finally worked for me. On the panel click settings, troubleshoot, restore all settings to default. My clock went back to 24 hour time, but it kept time. I then changed the date and time settings "Date format for the panel" as %a %b %e, %I:%M %P

Looks like it's working. For now... I'll update if it changes.
LogansRun

Post by LogansRun »

I am having this problem too. This wasn't happening to me in Linux Mint 14; it only started after I upgraded to 15. But I think it's an issue with Cinnamon, because I have my hard drive partitioned with Manjaro on the other side, and I get the same problem over there with Cinnamon, but when I log into either Mint or Manjaro on a different DE such as Xfce, it works fine.
LogansRun

Post by LogansRun »

And fixed with today's update! Thanks guys!
floodo1

Post by floodo1 »

using %m for minutes is incorrect per the link contained right in the "Calendar" Settings screen: http://www.foragoodstrftime.com/
%m - Month of the year (01..12)
%M - Minute of the hour (00..59)

Return to “Cinnamon”