[SOLVED] high Xorg CPU usage

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tjfitz

[SOLVED] high Xorg CPU usage

Post by tjfitz »

Hello, top is reporting Xorg CPU usage hovering around 30% when I have firefox open and the computer is idle, and around 20% when idle and only my terminal and top running. Just moving the mouse pointer around adds another ~5%.

I've been hunting around the web for a solution, and the only one I found that seems applicable to my situation is to add the "nomodeset" parameter to my boot options. I did that and saw no improvement, and I don't know what to do next. It hasn't always been like this. I suspect this is related to a kernel update, but I can't put my finger on which or when.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tjfitz

Re: high Xorg CPU usage

Post by tjfitz »

Anybody?
tjfitz

Re: high Xorg CPU usage

Post by tjfitz »

I discovered the problem. I was using the Aurora style and tried the MurrineAzul style, and Xorg CPU usage dropped to <6% when idle. I tried several styles and noted significant differences for some of them. Very strange...
DrHu

Re: [SOLVED] high Xorg CPU usage

Post by DrHu »

Its only strange if you think all software will be perfect, the developers (authors) of these style/themes which aren't difficult to do, mainly being an adaption from a basic or other style set, already existing..
  • --won't likely be tested against all environments, that they are offered for.. (desktops, that is)
So we could expect different writers of these themes/styles to have or not have better coding (or tighter coding)

Abut the general issue, unless a theme is causing some system slowdowns but doesn't have any other artifacts, such as quirky display results, then I generally ignore it
  • Cpu percentage doesn't bother me if the overall system is AOK! (apps run fine, and displays are fine..)
    --if it did, I would be in an unending quest to wring every ounce of performance from my system: that I think is a waste of my time
tjfitz

Re: [SOLVED] high Xorg CPU usage

Post by tjfitz »

DrHu wrote:Cpu percentage doesn't bother me if the overall system is AOK! (apps run fine, and displays are fine..)
Perhaps you didn't notice the specs on my computer, listed in my sig. :roll:

Return to “LMDE Archive”