Setting AM/PM in Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
7vn11vn

Setting AM/PM in Cinnamon

Post by 7vn11vn »

I installed Mate first, then Cinammon. The time in the taskbar is fine in Mate and even Ubuntu, but in Cinnamon it displays as a 24 hour clock, not am/pm. I went into the Menu and went into Preferences - Date and Time and changed it from 24-hour to AM/PM, but it stays at 24 hour. Re-booting after setting it didn't work and like I said, it's okay in Mate and Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or how to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Setting AM/PM in Cinnamon

Post by BoscoBearbank »

Currently have Ubuntu LXDE loaded, do can't verify for Cinnamon, but right-clicking on the clock and setting the format to

Code: Select all

%a %d-%b  %I:%M:%S %p
gives me Thu 29-Nov 05:20:06 PM
caboose2099

Post by caboose2099 »

BoscoBearbank wrote:Currently have Ubuntu LXDE loaded, do can't verify for Cinnamon, but right-clicking on the clock and setting the format to

%a %d-%b  %I:%M:%S %p
gives me Thu 29-Nov 05:20:06 PM
Worked for me! Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit. Thanks! :D
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

This is my clock. It removes the zero (06:30 PM becomes 6:30 PM) and no seconds.

%a %d-%b  %_I:%M %p
7vn11vn

Post by 7vn11vn »

Thank you guys so much for the help. Once I found out what to do I was able to experiment and get it just the way I want it. I used this one:

%a %b %e, %_I:%M %p

Looks like this: Fri Nov 30, 1:05 PM

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!!!
caboose2099

Post by caboose2099 »

7vn11vn wrote:%a %b %e, %_I:%M %p

Looks like this: Fri Nov 30, 1:05 PM
Think I may use that one when I get home from work. 8)
GabeA

Post by GabeA »

Still no way to remove military (24hr) time from the clock desklet? A few reviewers pointed out the same thing and were disappointed.

I'm not disappointed. I would just like this essential AM/PM functionality added to the clock. :)
Nightflame

Post by Nightflame »

GabeA wrote:Still no way to remove military (24hr) time from the clock desklet? A few reviewers pointed out the same thing and were disappointed.

I'm not disappointed. I would just like this essential AM/PM functionality added to the clock. :)
You can try another clock desklet called "Time And Date". Just refresh your Desklets from the Internet to get this.

From inside the desklet select "Edit Config"

Change the timeFormat to be:

"timeFormat": "%I:%M %p",

Save the file, remove and re-add the Desklet. You should now see the time in 12 hour with am/pm.

-S.
sujitnag

Post by sujitnag »

on net connect.
left click (on date & time applets -> date time setting->generate your own date formats )
or go to
http://www.foragoodstrftime.com/

select formate.
write in date format for the panel.

Return to “Beginner Questions”