Slackware + GNOME?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Slackware + GNOME?

Post by MagnusB »

Anyway know about a good, slackware based distro, which use GNOME default? Preferably off a liveCD... Seems like all GNOME distros are debian based.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Re: Slackware + GNOME?

Post by Husse »

Googling Slackware + GNOME gives interesting hits
http://www.droplinegnome.net/
I only looked at this link and I don't know if it's good...
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Already looked at that, but from what I gather you more or less compile GNOME yourself. I know Slackware itself has abandoned GNOME, and does not officially support it, but I thought that at least one distro based on Slackware should be using GNOME per default. Only one I have seen so far is GoblinX, but they use KDE as default desktop, and use Lilo so no good for me...
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - people may not like top panels....
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

And it seems like most distros are using KDE, GNOME is more a phenomenon in debian and Red Hat and deviants both of them... But every major distro should support all big DE (GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and to some degree FluxBox). I have tried most of the major ones except Gentoo and Slackware, so I was thinking about giving Slackware (or a deviant) a glance, but I need GNOME!
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

BlahBlah_X wrote:Second or first result on google: http://gnomeslackbuild.org/
I did not find that when I was searching, but still it is not what I am looking for. It needs a working installation of Slackware, I want a liveCD. The reason is that I want to try it out, then install it. Might take a look through DistroWatch and LWN, see if I find something. I have downloaded a KDE liveDVD of a Slackware based distro, don't remember the name right now, and a liveCD of Foresight. Man, this is why I love linux, the freedom of choice!
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I have pretty much given this up, I was more interested in just trying it out, that is why I wanted a live CD, instead of going through a HDD install, configure the hell out of it, then discover that I don't like it... The closest thing would probably be Vector and check if they have GNOME in the repos, but I got lazy and extremely busy with other projects...
--Dean Martin
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I'm really not fond of KDE. I don't hate it, but every time I've tried to use it it's just ended up in giving me a little headache and making me yearn for GNOME again. Maybe I just like GTK+ a little more than Qt+ but I feel so much more at home on Gnome.

Return to “Chat about Linux”