Can't add a resolution in Mint 14 Nadia (ATI RV516 X1350)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnatsvlishvili

Can't add a resolution in Mint 14 Nadia (ATI RV516 X1350)

Post by dnatsvlishvili »

Hello,
I just got a bootable USB w/ Linux Mint 14 Nadia installed and I ran into some problems with my laptop's graphic drivers. Computer is fairly old, it's HP Compaq 6820s from around 2008. Problem actually is that when I go to Menu > Preferences > Display (in Cinnamon), there's only three options for resulution: 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600, all of them 4:3. I need to have 1440x900 for my display and I could not find any way to do this.

I tried several approaches and I will tell what I have tried.

First of all, if I type ~ $ inxi -G following output is shown

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV516 [Mobility Radeon X1350] 
X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1152x864@60.0hz 
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2
I tried using both, xrandr and xorg.conf manual setup but failed.

According to tutorial by Thinker at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877 I went through all the steps, however an error was shown in both cases offered.

When I give a command xrandr following error occurs: "xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default"
That is, I am unable to run xrandr --newmode "1440x900_60.00" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync

So, I moved to a second approach where I needed to make xorg.conf file and put it into /etc/X11/. I did it with correct options entered, similar to what was shown in a tutorial I referred, replaced with my own values. Unfortunately, while booting (before login screen) an error came out saying that xorg.conf was misconfigured and system required fixing (i.e. deleting) it.

I tried installing drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon X1350, those were .run files that I needed to execute with root permissions, I tried about 6 different versions and none of them worked (terminal would close after a message about invalid version).

Then, I tried installing AMD Catalyst program, which did not work either, a message said there was no appropriate driver on system. This program destroyed my Mint panel (bottom panel with menu, window list and taskbar) and it became visually and funciontally different. Somehow, I uninstalled this program and after logout/login a panel got to its place.

My question is if there is a way I can set my screen to 1440x900 because eyes hurt and can't work in such environment.

I would like to pass on many thanks to whoever will help me out a little to move on and try to solve such an issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikestedman

Re: Can't add a resolution in Mint 14 Nadia (ATI RV516 X1350

Post by mikestedman »

I know two months have passed since you posted this question but have you found an answer yet? If not, you may be interested in this workaround that is on my blog [url]http://lineatatime.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/linux-mint-15-xorg-compaq-6820s-ati.html[/url]. I've now got 1440x900 resolution working on my Compaq 6820s which is much better than the eye-aching 1152x864.
dnatsvlishvili

Post by dnatsvlishvili »

@mikestedman,

Hello. I am very thankful that you replied to my post with such a solution on your blog, thank you a lot. I lost a hope of getting mint running on my laptop for a long time already, however I will try your solution and having it on 6820s will be great. I think I've done a lot of research and I asked a lot of questions, but unfortunately I was unable to solve my issue, your reply kind of surprised me and I am very happy to hear help from you! I'll definitely try out your ideas and will let you know. Thanks!!!
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

I had a similar problem, used "nomodeset" -- and while I then got a desktop, I was VERY unhappy with how Mint thought I was running a "laptop" -- with a single display, and not at full resolution.

I changed "nomodeset" to "xforcevesa" -- and got both displays, both at full resolution.

You should try that and see if it works for you.

Return to “Hardware Support”