Magicolor 1650EN only prints 1st document

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peterthebike
Level 1
Level 1

Magicolor 1650EN only prints 1st document

Post by peterthebike »

I have used a Konica-Minolta 1650EN for over 3 years on Ubuntu and LInux Mint and it has worked perfectly. I use the PPD http://www.konicaminolta.co.uk/business ... r%201650EN supplied by Konica Minolta.

Before updating to Mint 14 Mate from Mint 13 I started to have problems printing more than one document. The second document regardless of whether it was a spreadsheet, image, wp document, or pdf file would not print. Sometimes I get the Error Status page printed. Other times it is complete pages of character dump.

The only way I can do another print is to restart my PC.

I have tried turning the printer on and off, stopping and restarting CUPS and using the suggested driver when adding a printer of Magicolor 1600W.

To prove the printer and PPD were OK I used a LiveCD for Ubuntu 10.10 that I have got and after adding my printer ran 2 prints from a spreadsheet that I had just been trying to print earlier and they printed OK.

Can anyone help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell Inspiron 3881, Dual boot Linux Mint 20 using Cinnamon and Windows 10
grimalkin

Re: Magicolor 1650EN only prints 1st document

Post by grimalkin »

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading Mint 14 nadia to 15 Olivia. Clean install previously printing working perfectly on the install garbled text on page two onwards of a print run. The only way to cure it has been to clear the print queue and switch the printer on and off again. I cannot print multiple jobs either without this problem. I found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/872483 which seems to describe the same problem. I'm still working through their fix but not fixed it yet.

Did you ever get your issue sorted ? Would help knowing your experience for me if this problem persists . thanks.

I'll try the live CD idea to check if it works from there after I've tried this Ubuntu fix.
peterthebike
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peterthebike »

I have managed to get a nearly working system. Probably 3 out of 5 print jobs work OK. But it is still very unpredictable.

My best results have been to switch to a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04. However I found the software updates caused the problems to come back. So I reinstalled 12.04 but locked the versions of cups, cups-bsd, cups-client, cups-common, cups-filters, cups-ppdc, ghostscript, ghostscript-cups and ghostscript-x before allowing any software updates.

Is this the fix you are trying:

Code: Select all

lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-no-reattach-default=true
and then turn the printer on and off?

I used to use my printer as a network printer directly attached to the router. Unfortunately I have had problems with my Broadband and had to move the router close to my telephone socket. Doing this I have switched my PC and printer over to wireless. The cabling has since been changed for my telephone socket, but I will try to move the router and see if it is only a problem for a USB connection. This may take a while to do though!
grimalkin

Post by grimalkin »

Yes that was the fix I tried. Switching the printer on and off (for speed rather than keep going back to terminal) seems to sort it and sometimes I get more than one page out before the garbled text. I need to go and buy more paper now tho to continue testing. LOL.
peterthebike
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peterthebike »

I have tried the fix in comment 57:

Code: Select all

lpadmin -p <printer> -R usb-unidir-default
lpadmin -p <printer> -o usb-no-reattach-default=true
and it seems to be working so far.
grimalkin

Post by grimalkin »

Thats good, I've not had a reason to print much out this last week and feel its pointless and wasteful to print for the sake of it (I do that at work all day). Just biding my time, something will come up to be printed soon and I'm going to get back on it again when that happens. Fingers crossed this sorts it out for you (and me). Thanks for keeping us updated.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”