Linux sucks video

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Algeorge

Linux sucks video

Post by Algeorge »

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwWPQ1Orzs[/url]
Hi if you have the time to watch this video, he raises some very valid points IMHO.
Linux development is about resources available (eg developer time), and to summarize his video, developers are fragmenting their resources into various desktops, various package systems and so on.
Im just wondering why Mint developers had to move to 2 new desktops Mate and Cinnamon. If devs of all distros could work together to get Linux really good, instead of all over the place, it would surely make Linux the unquestionable king o/s in maybe 2-5 years. Instead users are given so many confusing options each with its pros and cons that a co-operative core seems an unachievable end result.
Kind regards,
Alistair.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux sucks video

Post by catweazel »

Algeorge wrote:Im just wondering why Mint developers had to move to 2 new desktops Mate and Cinnamon.
In short, because not everyone likes Unity or Gnome 3, and not everyone wants a laptop or tablet PC to run them on. The MATE and Cinnamon DEs are intuitive for Windwoes desktop users.

There are probably more reasons behind it, but those cover a large part of the reason.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Open-source systems work somewhat like Lego(tm)-built systems. They do not aim to achieve "market" world wide domination and surely don't want to kill freedom of choice. In the FOSS world, you only "buy" a system to make it fit you own needs and not a pre-build one-for-all system :) If you don't want neither Lego(tm) nor freedom, you should buy Windows(tm) or OSX(tm) instead...
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I'm quite familiar with Bryan Lunduke, especially from his work on The Linux Action Show.

While I don't agree with everything thing he says, he's at least entertaining.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

catweazel wrote:...Windwoes...
nice

8)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

eanfrid wrote:In the FOSS world, you only "buy" a system to make it fit you own needs and not a pre-build one-for-all system :) If you don't want neither Lego(tm) nor freedom, you should buy Windows(tm) or OSX(tm) instead...
That's not entirely true.

System 76 aims to provide a ready-to-go-for-the-average-user out of the box, for example.

I want to drive a car, but I don't neccessarily want to have to build my own.
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

While I don't agree with everything thing he says, he's at least entertaining.
And sensible.

Previous poster: I agree, when there is an old PC that needs a boost, find a low-resource distro and they work well. EG you would not load up Linux Mint on an old dunger. Therefore you need some choice. But Linux has developed into overkill. Distros come and go willy-nilly. EG I found a lovely distro called Fubuntu and thinking it would be perfect for an old laptop here. Go to Fubuntu forum to find the project is now closed. This happens time and again, and all the good work of some folks is being wasted.
I used to write software and developed a program called back4winxp, it had lots of features and included versioning which was fairly unique in its day. It was one of the top 10 user backup softwares for a while, because it worked, and worked well.
Thats the most important thing IMHO to have a good distro (like Mint) which works and works well, and is recognised as a standard for Linux.
Seems like Bryan Lunduke saying that if the skilled programmers for Linux combined, the development would be much more effective and less fragmented, surely that makes sense. Unfortunately, the key would be to get individuals to agree to work together.
Kind regards,
Alistair.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

MartyMint wrote:
eanfrid wrote:In the FOSS world, you only "buy" a system to make it fit you own needs and not a pre-build one-for-all system :) If you don't want neither Lego(tm) nor freedom, you should buy Windows(tm) or OSX(tm) instead...
That's not entirely true.

System 76 aims to provide a ready-to-go-for-the-average-user out of the box, for example.

I want to drive a car, but I don't neccessarily want to have to build my own.
Ok but by "system" I meant only "software" (the OS), not a device sold with a preloaded distro.

NB: I was indeed referring to this somewhat old but still relevant webpage/explanation http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MartyMint wrote:
catweazel wrote:...Windwoes...
nice

8)
:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Algeorge wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwWPQ1Orzs
Hi if you have the time to watch this video, he raises some very valid points IMHO.
every coin has 2 faces
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxX8a_TC7I]why linux doesn't suck by the same author[/url]
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

While there may be different Linux distro's, they are created for a purpose. Someone needed a special function or didn't want some of the apps, etc. Though Linux may seem to be fragmented, it really is not. People are able to create a software platform that allows them to do whatever they need to do.

I think that people need to stop worrying about trying to be windows-like and allow linux to be what it is, I highly configurable OS with over 37,000 applications built in and the freedom to re-distribute, create and share a stable, secure OS that works various hardware platforms. Remember, Some of the most powerful corporate and government companies use Linux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”