Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Postby HarmInTrying on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:39 am

My name is Garret and I am new to this Linux business. Thus far, I am beyond impressed. I must admit, I was apprehensive to wipe my HDD and do a solo Linux install, but things have been great! I have not hit a situation yet where Linux was the limiting factor, just my understanding of how this OS functions. :P I am slowly starting to grasp what is going on when I install from a repository (First, Adding a PPA/repos. gives a source, apt-update grabs all available packages from all repos. I have added, and then apt-install to build it. the term "sudo" gives me administrative/systemic control... Please chime in if I have totally unicorns the bed here, please & thanks). I can also run that whole string of commands as one command, using "&&" to signify "do dis, and dis, and dis, and if one dis doesn't happen, just give up" which is handy.

I am running Mint 13 Maya in Cinnamon on a 4 year old Gateway m-7347-u, Intel Duel Core, Intel chipset, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD2.

Since most laptops have BIOS FSBUS settings (ie - for over clocking) locked out, I grabbed a program (indicator-cpufreq, maybe? I can't remember. Sorry, team) to underclock my CPU. I believe it modifies the multiplier on the FSBUS, as it gives me options for "2.12, 1.67, 1.33, and 1.0 GHz, as well "performance, on demand, power save and conservative".

As my computer was overheating, (the reason I looked into underclocking; has been working fine ever since, thanks for asking) I also installed a CPU temp monitoring program which allows me to type "sensors" into any terminal and it will return my current CPU temp in degree Celsius, and show the critical temp. Again, I can't remember what this program is call. If you know what I'm talking about, please chime in and let me know.

I have as well installed CDEmu, a virtual CD drive emulator. It allows for 2 slots, and has an applet which appears in the bottom right of Mint. Quick mounting and unmounting of .iso and other disc image-type files. This was very easy, once I had everything written in the terminal properly. :D

My other big "oh that's sweet" was when I managed to get a .exe of Rosetta Stone (Win, 32-bit) to launch and install via Winetricks. Runs flawlessly, save the voice recognition/speech component. This issue was not unique, nor caused by Linux. I obtained my Rosetta stone (and crack) from The Pirate Bay (just to clarify, the cracked .exe of Rosetta Stone, not free-base cocaine; that unicorns's really bad for a person) and the sound driver detection is wacky for built in soundcards. Their best solution was to purchase a USB sound card, after which a mic would be detected and they could participate in the speech component of RS.

Other wine tricks that have tickled my fancy - Installed Starcraft and expansion Broodwars from .iso, Installed Diablo 2 from install/play discs, found a version of VirtualDJ (Mixxx) for Linux, although I haven't had any luck with using Native Instruments "Mashine" in Mixxx. Is there a version of VDJ, or Traktor for Linux?

All in all, keep up the good work, team. If anyone has programs they want me to try to crash, let me know! I'll happily beta things for you.

EDIT: Ah, my apologies. "Unicorns" - read: fecal matter.
HarmInTrying
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Good Morning, Ladies and Gents

Postby The-Wizard on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jesica on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

:mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jesica on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby jesica on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 am

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Andersoun on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Every morning u have two choices! Continue your sleep with Dreaming. Or Wake up and Chase your Dreams Choice is yours! Good Morning
Andersoun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sammiev on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Welcome to the Mint forums.
sammiev
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zorba on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Good day to be alive sir! welcome to the green jungle :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby catweazel on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:33 am

Welcome aboard.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby AnonLonewulf on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 am

As how they gave me a warm welcome. Welcome aboard also!
:D :D
Bomb the System!
I
refuse to
become what
you call normal.
AnonLonewulf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself