66000+ little Thumbnail files in .cache - fragmentation?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

66000+ little Thumbnail files in .cache - fragmentation?

Post by Darktrax »

Getting short on space, and looking for where 1.4GB of disk space in my home folder was being used, I find..
~/.cache/thumbnails/normal - more than 66000 of them!
OK - so delete them, but does the space ever get cleaned up to be contiguous ever again?

I am not expert at fragmentation, but I don't think it is something that has gone away, and my instinct is telling me that this cannot be good. Even if there was a scheme that kept the number limited to a reasonable stash of the most recently used, the joy of thumbnail previews has this price in small file creation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: 66000+ little Thumbnail files in .cache - fragmentation?

Post by Orbmiser »

HTG Explains: Why Linux Doesn’t Need Defragmenting
[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/115229/htg-explains-why-linux-doesnt-need-defragmenting/[/url]
If fragmentation does occur, the file system will attempt to move the files around to reduce fragmentation in normal use, without the need for a defragmentation utility.
Wouldn't worry about it and do not apply what Windows partition needs vs. Linux partitions.
Apple's vs. Oranges kind of thing.
homerscousin

Re: 66000+ little Thumbnail files in .cache - fragmentation?

Post by homerscousin »

Just one little tidbit to add. I noticed when I first installed Linux last year, when I was searching some old cd's/dvd's for wallpapers etc, that all the folders I opened in my file mgr created a thumbnail preview. Great. But all those thumbnails are saved to disk even though I may never pop in that disk again. If I do something like that, searching, it might be a good thing do delete all thumbnails afterwards. Doesn't really take much time to recreate the ones on my hdd, and the new folder is clean again. Yea or Nea.

Return to “MATE”