Nvidia - freeze after suspend problem (Mint 14 / Ubuntu 12.1

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kiwi

Nvidia - freeze after suspend problem (Mint 14 / Ubuntu 12.1

Post by kiwi »

I suffered this problem with Mint 13 x64 and still with Mint 14 when using the Nvidia proprietary drivers. I used them because getting multiple screens running proved simpler than with Nouveau. The problem manifests with the screen freezing up so that you still have mouse but lose control of windows - no processes are unusually active. It happens occasionally and unpredictably.

I followed different strategies suggested in Ubuntu and Mint forums with a little success. Then I found the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia and the suggested edit of xorg.conf plus blacklist.conf resolved the issue for me. No more freezes. Apparently, when resuming from suspend confusion can arise and the wrong drivers can be activated.

Two weeks ago my hardware self-destructed so I upgraded to an i5 on a new motherboard including some new intel video capability. This week I noticed the screen freeze again. After mastering:

Code: Select all

~/ lspci | grep VGA                 ... to see the pci controllers
~/ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |less    ... the log
~/ sudo lshw | less                 ... the current view
I discovered the intel i915 driver present and active (I think). I have extended my blacklist to include it:

Code: Select all

blacklist intel_agp
blacklist nouveau
blacklist i915
The problem has been absent for a number of days. Hopefully this might help someone else experiencing the same issues. I will amend this thread if the problem arises again.

Cross Posted in Ubuntu forums as well in case people with U12 are seeing the same issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
glattering

Re: Nvidia - freeze after suspend problem (Mint 14 / Ubuntu

Post by glattering »

Hello!

I seem to experience the same issues I have Linux Mint 14 and a DELL laptop with Intel graphical chipset.
How can I add things to the black list? Which file to edit?

Also, I read that I should find the additional driver tab but I cannot find it anywhere. Where is it?

Thank you.
/glattering

Return to “Hardware Support”