HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Postby nomko on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 am

ChickenPie4Tea wrote:Just new to Linux - always been a canon user of printers and cameras but as there is no linux driver for my canon.....

Yes, there is: http://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtricksforubuntu/printer-info/canon-drivers.
nomko
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby pico77 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 am

Hi,

I had problems with my HP LaserJet 1020, see my post here:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=109243

I installed hplib as suggested in this thread from

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

but nothing happens now hp-installer even doens't see the printer connected on the usb... damn.

I don't know what to do...
Pietro
pico77
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tbrownarcher2 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:57 pm

I DID this in synaptic manager and it downloaded and applied or installed? How do I know if it's working

thanks,
Nate
IBM lenovo ThinkCentre which is using linux mint 17 cinnamon

Dell dimension 3000 using linux mint 14 mate cinnamon

HP Pavilion A 720 n runnng linux mint 14 and 15 mate

Toshiba Sattalite laptop running Linux mint 15 and Windows 7
tbrownarcher2
Level 4
Level 4

Trouble with 64bit Linuxmint 14?

Postby goetzkluge on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

So much praise, but my 64bit Linuxmint 14 doesn't find the HP network printer anymore (after a SW upgrade?). For details please go here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=127513
goetzkluge
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing AGAIN!

Postby lim on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 am

Simply wanted to endorse this very good steer.
Having adopted LMDE Cinnamon some weeks ago, I have been using it successfully until the other day when I wanted to print something. My HP Photosmart 6510 did print, but what it printed read, "If you can read this you have the wrong drivers."
The HPLIP site provided not only the latest version but also the means and simple instructions to install it. (During this process I was prompted to remove the existing version installed from the repository.)
Sorry if readers think I am trying to teach them to suck eggs, but as a real beginner I found the OP a real boon.
Thany you 900i (sounds like a Saab model to me!)

Regards to all, lim
lim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wheeledgoat on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Sorry to perpetuate the resurrection of this thread, but since it's stickied I figured I'd share my experience:

I was blown away.

Installed Mint15, and my networked HP OfficeJet 6500 was immediately availabe not only as a printer but as a scanner too! I didn't have to install HP's bloatware printing & scanning programs (as is necessary in Windows), the built-in scanning app in Mint15 works perfectly!

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou, to both the Mint15 dev. team as well as HP. I get a little miffed at all the jigging and bopping I have to do to countermand HP's efforts to make me use their branded ink, but their support of Linux really helps my opinion of them.

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby brack11 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 am

Hplip doesn't support neither serial port nor usb. My printer connected via usb-to-serial cable, having virtual serial port, so, hplip is useless in my case. I installed Windows XP in virtualbox and printer works fast from there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
brack11
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JeromeLP on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Concerning the configuration of HP printers (mine is a laserjet P1005), I would recommand downloading "hplip-3.13.9.run" from http://www.hplipopensource.com and then execute it with the terminal command sh. This bash checks the required packages and their dependencies and then complete it.
Note: download the version for the ubuntu 13.04 version; then it will detect and ask for your own version (mine is MINT15 Olivia).
JeromeLP
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grumpus on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am

On Linux Mint 16 64bit and Linux Mint 14 32bit.
HP3400 works in both Simple Scan and an install of Xsane.
Kept Xsane for familiarity (Since early Hoary Hedgehog Ubuntu) and it works well with the HP3400 scanner.
Printer HP LaserJet Pro 400 (M401n) wired (no wireless as I don't want the neighbors recipes list) :wink:
USB attached on both. Did find the printer has to be on at start-up of the system in order to be "recognized" to be configured.
Seems a little slower to start to print on the 64 bit system than the 32bit system but does a fine job, probably the 1200 resolution over the 300, which seems to be missing.
Did look for and install a couple additional foomatic packages as they seem to help with the 32bit system.
Uhhh, maybe this will work?
grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Printers & Scanners