Desktop icon text colour

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Tovi

Desktop icon text colour

Post by Tovi »

Dear All,

I am quite new to Linux and am having a problem altering the colour of the text of my desktop icons. I think I'm using the Gnome Shell desktop environment. So far I have found some advice saying I should put a file in my personal folder named ".gtkrc-2.0" with the following code:
style “desktop-icon” {
NautilusIconContainer::frame_text = 1
text[NORMAL] = “#0099CC”
base[NORMAL] = “#000033″
NautilusIconContainer::normal_alpha = 150
}
widget_class “*DesktopIcon*” style “desktop-icon”
I changed the "text[NORMAL] = “#0099CC”" to read "text[NORMAL] = “#FFFFFF” which I think should have made the text white, but following a restart it hasn't worked.

I then found some more advice:
You have to change the file: gnome-applications.css, located probably in /usr/share/themes/YOUR_THEME_NAME/gtk-3.0
CSS class responding to desktop icon text is .nautilus-desktop.nautilus-canvas-item.
Before I start messing around some more, and since I don't know how to find out what theme I'm using, I thought I'd come here for advice. Is there a simpler way to do this? It seems that if I can change the desktop background easily that changing the font text should be less complicated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vakinn

Re: Desktop icon text colour

Post by vakinn »

Under System Settings you'll see "Themes". Here you can change your theme, get more themes online, and change miscellaneous settings like Icons and Window Borders. You'll notice that under the "Installed" tab you only have Cinnamon, whereas in the "Other Settings" tab you have several things like Mint-X or Crux. As I understand, you get a bunch of stuff in "Other Settings" because these are partial themes. These are all located in /usr/share/themes. Of course, you can also install full themes here and they will show up for every user. The full default theme, Cinnamon, is located at /usr/share/cinnamon/theme separate from the rest. I'm not sure why this is exactly. But remember that you're taking elements from things like Mint-X as well. Anyways, if you want to install themes just for yourself, then unpack your theme into ~/.themes. If that directory doesn't exist, create it.
Tovi

Re: Desktop icon text colour

Post by Tovi »

Thanks very much for your response vakinn.

As far as following your advice goes though I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle: under 'System Settings' I don't have a themes button. I've also used the system search bar to try to find it and got no joy there either.

The directory '/usr/share/themes/' does exist though.

Return to “LMDE Archive”