Command and Conquer The First Decade

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdanner3

Command and Conquer The First Decade

Post by rdanner3 »

(See my sigfile for my computer and LM version, although have LM13-MATE-x64)
Have WINE 1.4, WineTricks, QTWine and PlayonLinux installed and configured; none of these allow me to install Command and Conquer: The First Decade. Since the game is reluctant (at best) to run in Win7, (EA has decided (short-sightedly, IMO) to not update the installer and launcher for Vista and above) I have been trying to get it running in Linux Mint, so far to no avail. While the installer does come up (via PlayonLinux and (I think) QTWine) the game will not install.

There is a discussion on PlayonLinux's forum about C&C:TFD, but no solutions even proposed as yet, so I'm finding myself locked out of one of my favorite RTS franchises altogether, since I cannot afford C&C3 or C&C4, which are both coded for Vista and above.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the installer to complete its job, so I can test the games within the bundle?

I would really hate to leave this one on my "obsolete and cannot be run" shelf, especially when I'm running games that actually predate the first C&C with no problem! :roll: :evil: (BTW: Don't ask me to install OpenRA; I've got it and like it... to a point. But I want to play Generals/Generals Zero Hour as well, especially. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wheeledgoat

Re: Command and Conquer The First Decade

Post by wheeledgoat »

thanks for reporting what you've tried and didn't work. I'm new to Mint and also have a very special place in my heart for the older c&c games, esp. Generals. Very sad to see I might have to shelf my First Decade disc. Hopefully this bump may incite a reply and a little insight.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Well, I didn't even try "The First Decade" DVD, but I was able to install Generals and Zero Hour without problem! (I mean a copy of the Generals game in addition to, and separate from TFD DVD).

There were a few steps to take:

-installed wine (duh)
-copied contents of install discs 1 & 2 to a single directory on HDD (install will fail when switching discs otherwise)
-installed game (with setup.exe - notautorun.exe
-replaced generals.exe, worldbuilder.exe and game.dat with no-CD cracked versions (mandatory step - not just for convenience - Generals will not run even with disc in)

-zero hour update was very similar (copying both discs to HDD directory, installing from there), except for the no-CD crack there were executables to modify existing files instead of copying in newer versions.

And now I'm happily playing Generals ZH on Linux Mint and I'm happy as a clam! I played a quick skirmish last night and it was flawless. Didn't (and won't) mess with online/multiplayer.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Generials. Its old? Perhaps its time for a new computer.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Oh, the computer is new (enough) - built it in 2009, only upgraded the graphics card since... still kicks the snot out of whatever you're going to overpay for at Bestbuy or Gateway/Dell today.

The legacy games are where it's at, brother!
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Kinda like how for the past year and a half my harddrvies have gone up $30 dollars in value.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

uh.... yeah. kinda like that. kinda.
linuxlove

Post by linuxlove »

If the data is still there, and the installer is giving you trouble, why bother with the installer?

Mount your dvd or iso, then
$ unshield -d /[dir to extract to] x data1.cab
All your game files are there, apply your nocd cracks, and enjoy!
snafu006

Post by snafu006 »

rdanner3 wrote:(See my sigfile for my computer and LM version, although have LM13-MATE-x64)
Have WINE 1.4, WineTricks, QTWine and PlayonLinux installed and configured; none of these allow me to install Command and Conquer: The First Decade. Since the game is reluctant (at best) to run in Win7, (EA has decided (short-sightedly, IMO) to not update the installer and launcher for Vista and above) I have been trying to get it running in Linux Mint, so far to no avail. While the installer does come up (via PlayonLinux and (I think) QTWine) the game will not install.

There is a discussion on PlayonLinux's forum about C&C:TFD, but no solutions even proposed as yet, so I'm finding myself locked out of one of my favorite RTS franchises altogether, since I cannot afford C&C3 or C&C4, which are both coded for Vista and above.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the installer to complete its job, so I can test the games within the bundle?

I would really hate to leave this one on my "obsolete and cannot be run" shelf, especially when I'm running games that actually predate the first C&C with no problem! :roll: :evil: (BTW: Don't ask me to install OpenRA; I've got it and like it... to a point. But I want to play Generals/Generals Zero Hour as well, especially. :(

did you get it working because i have the Command and Conquer: The First Decade and it working all of it even the mods/addons the wine vers i use is 1.7.3.

Also just delete evey thing you did and what they are trying to get you to do. Open Playonlinux and download ver 1.7.3 then reinstall but use the install a non-listed program ( bottem left ) let me know because i have it running.
Booman

Post by Booman »

PlayOnLinux is definitely the way to go.
I have a guide for Red Alert 3 Uprising but it might not apply to the older games
[url=http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/posts/2602/]Red Alert 3: Uprising Guide[/url]

PlayOnLinux makes using Wine much easier and there is a nice feature where you can try-out different versions of Wine without messing with the install or libraries.
Its very easy to use and troubleshoot.
Let me know if you have any questions.
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

snafu006 wrote:[D]id you get it working because i have the Command and Conquer: The First Decade and it working all of it even the mods/addons the wine vers i use is 1.7.3.

Also just delete evey thing you did and what they are trying to get you to do. Open Playonlinux and download ver 1.7.3 then reinstall but use the install a non-listed program ( bottem left ) let me know because i have it running.
Okay, will try that once my other problem (with MDM having fouled up) is corrected. Until it is corrected, cannot even get into Linux save through Recovery Console, which won't load X-Windows. :roll:

Return to “Gaming”