the return to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

the return to Linux

Postby wheeledgoat on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:34 pm

I took a stab at linux back in 2001, but it was too much for me. I remember having a devil of a time just getting the simplest things installed, and I'm ashamed to say I gave up. (it didn't help my motivation that I had a free version of XP to play with).

I'm an enthusiast-level programmer, and enjoy the puzzle that is creating databases... so when I was faced with reinstalling XP (again!) after it pooped out, and I read that microsuck was abandoning XP, I went looking for alternatives.

Helloooooooooo MINT! I'm loving life. I've been using Libra Office for over a year, and now with Mint I'm happy to get off the MS bandwagon entirely. I still have a Win7 machine, but that's the light-duty, no graphics card, SSD HDD web surfer for the wife & kids. My workhorse computer that pipes audio throughout my house and does the real work is now sporting Mint!

I'm very satisfied to have overcome the Mint15 difficulty w/ the ATI Radeon cards, and I'm also proud to have successfully installed Command & Conquer Generals. I'm impressed that Mint has built-in drivers for my Turtle Beach Riviera and my networked HP printer.

Thanks for all the help this community and forum has provided me so far! As I get better, hopefully I'll be able to give back a little.

Mint installed on my still-rockin' budget build from '08:
3ghz Athlon 64 dualcore on DFI LP DK w/ 8g DDR2, GeForce GTX 760 & Turtle Beach Riviera

Win7 on my lite build of 2012:
3.1ghz i3 dualcore on Biostar H61 w/ 8g DDR3, Crucial M4 128g SSD
wheeledgoat
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: the return to Linux

Postby jesica on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Good day
Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tdockery97 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Welcome wheeledgoat, to the the Minty side of life.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DrHu on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 pm

That's excellent, it's nice to see an old hand come aback for a refresh
--Linux is always evolving: that is it's strength (as well as the multitude of genre specific software that is available)

In fact it evolves faster than *BSD systems, even though I like some *bsd partitioning schemes and hard disk support functions..
--also it is easier to use when installing: unless one were to compare it to Arch Linux or Linux-from-Scratch or a custom Linux build.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby The-Wizard on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 16-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 16-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Introduce yourself