the return to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wheeledgoat

the return to Linux

Post by wheeledgoat »

I took a stab at linux back in 2001, but it was too much for me. I remember having a devil of a time just getting the simplest things installed, and I'm ashamed to say I gave up. (it didn't help my motivation that I had a free version of XP to play with).

I'm an enthusiast-level programmer, and enjoy the puzzle that is creating databases... so when I was faced with reinstalling XP (again!) after it pooped out, and I read that microsuck was abandoning XP, I went looking for alternatives.

Helloooooooooo MINT! I'm loving life. I've been using Libra Office for over a year, and now with Mint I'm happy to get off the MS bandwagon entirely. I still have a Win7 machine, but that's the light-duty, no graphics card, SSD HDD web surfer for the wife & kids. My workhorse computer that pipes audio throughout my house and does the real work is now sporting Mint!

I'm very satisfied to have overcome the Mint15 difficulty w/ the ATI Radeon cards, and I'm also proud to have successfully installed Command & Conquer Generals. I'm impressed that Mint has built-in drivers for my Turtle Beach Riviera and my networked HP printer.

Thanks for all the help this community and forum has provided me so far! As I get better, hopefully I'll be able to give back a little.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jesica

Re: the return to Linux

Post by jesica »

Good day
Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome wheeledgoat, to the the Minty side of life.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

That's excellent, it's nice to see an old hand come aback for a refresh
--Linux is always evolving: that is it's strength (as well as the multitude of genre specific software that is available)

In fact it evolves faster than *BSD systems, even though I like some *bsd partitioning schemes and hard disk support functions..
--also it is easier to use when installing: unless one were to compare it to Arch Linux or Linux-from-Scratch or a custom Linux build.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”