Video driver problems after kernel upgrade

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Video driver problems after kernel upgrade

Postby paulmw on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Perhaps foolishly :? - the first time I've ever done this :oops: - have just upgraded my kernel from the (standard for Mint 13) 3.2.0-generic to a 3.9.1 kernel - which is quite a lot "snappier" and with, no doubt, other improvements which I'll (hopefully) find out about soon!
It seemed that I also had to install the module "amdmicrocode" to prevent quite a lengthy "hang" during the bootup process while it searched for a nonexistent file.

However the proprietary video driver for my Radeon HD5450 vidcard has (quite naturally with a kernel upgrade, so I gather) uninstalleditself/needstobereinstalled.
And I do prefer the proprietary driver - it does seem to be quite a lot better than the stock/vanilla ones that come with the various kernels - ie it scrolls more smoothly and is quite a lot "crisper" etc etc.
But, unfortunately, it seems to have "uninstalled itself" in both of the two "kernelversions" - so I can't just go "forget the upgraded kernelversion and default again to the vanilla kernel".

And, try as I might, I can't seem to be able to do this reinstall!:

First attempt was, of course, to try the Additional Drivers bizzo - which downloaded the 100+ish megs of the driver and then proceeded to try to install it - but wound up, after a few minutes, saying that the installation was unsuccessful. Looking through the jockey.log file didn't make me any the wiser about why the install hadn't worked :roll: !

Second attempt was to download the latest (stable) driver from the ATI website (13.4, I think it is), "chmod +x" it, and run it from a (root) terminal.
Which seemed to install OK - it ran through pages of impressive-looking guff :) - but on reboot the screen would just go black - no cursor, mousepointer,terminal - nothing.
So I booted the "older version" of Mint13 (the 3.2.0 kernel) and by doing:
Code: Select all
sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx

succeeded in getting the 3.9.1 version to come up with a working X/GUI again.

Subsequent attempts to install the proprietary driver refuse to install saying that "there is another version of the fglrx driver installed which must first be uninstalled".
And even though, several times, I've done the above "fglrx purging" routine it still always says that there are some bits of a previous install there and so the install can't proceed. At one stage I stupidly deleted the whole /ati directory - and then had to copy it back from another linux install so as to be able to use uninstall-fglrx and amd-uninstall again!

So:
where are these other bits/modules that I need to delete/move so as to be able to try the ATI installer again?
Having, in the meantime, found out about Ctrl-Alt-F5&F7 to bring up a terminal I'd like to have another try at using the ATI installer again.
Are they perhaps in /etc/modprobe.d/modules?
I found a couple of fglrxs in /~/~/dkms/~ which I removed - but that wasn't enough, so it seems.

Or, alternatively: how can I make the Additional Drivers app succeed in installing the proprietary driver?

Or: is there maybe some way to clean out all of the video drivers and install the proprietary one from a terminal ex recovery mode??

TIA uplines
Paul W

Mint 13 MATE/Maya - no Gnome3 b@#$%^&t! running on:
AMD FX-4100 cpu
8G of DDR3-1600 RAM
ASUS M5A-97EVO SATA3x6 m/b
Radeon HD5450 vidcard
ASUS Xonar STX soundcard - excellent!
90G OCZ Vertex3 SATA SDD
1TB whirlygig Seagate harddrive - with Mint13 and an NTFS "storage" partition
DVDRW drive
CDRW drive running through a PATA>SATA converter card - essential to be able to burn successful audioCDs
paulmw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support