Mint KDE 15

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
igor83

Re: Mint KDE 15

Post by igor83 »

Bikk wrote:
Jose Manuel wrote:Linux Mint 15 KDE is doing really desire too much .... Not even ready the RC yet. A pity that you continue to give such little importance to KDE desktop when is the best out there at the moment. One must understand that the Linux Mint team gives more importance to Cinnamon and Mate. A shame !!!! Greetings.

I have been observing them (their testing status, which updates almost by the minute) on KDE.. They are spending MUCH of their off-work time (meaning their free time) trying to work out the bugs... I am hoping they are able to release KDE soon myself... I do NOT like Cinn or Mate near as much as KDE... but it is all we have, at the moment.. and I am coping with Mate on this PC and Cinn on my laptop until KDE comes out..

(Steep learning curve to/for both, considering there is so much more freedom with KDE... but Cinn and Mate were made to be more user friendly with Windows type people, I think.. I am just happy that most quirks are worked out now.. considering how many system configs there are out there.. mine being one (build my own systems.. AMD with nVidia vid cards))..

BTW, took me 3 months to get Mint 14 to work with WoW, but when I got it worked out, it was 10x better than running WoW in Windows ;)

just have to get it working again like I had in Mint 14 :p
One shortcoming of KDE is that they do tend to release things before they are ready for prime time. 4.10 was a case in point. It seems to me that KDE would make a much better impression if it did not fall flat on its face with bugs, but was stable and solid, because that's what users want most of all. I think KDE has lost a lot of mindshare due to this rush-to-release strategy where they try to get in under the wire with the latest Ubuntu, Open Suse and Mageia release. The tail is wagging the dog. I think it is better to hold back new features until severe bugs are worked out.

When I installed Kubuntu 13.04 on my desktop, first of all the clock dialed back three hours and stayed wrong every reboot until a user wrote in with a manual user-directed solution involving command-line syntax. I don't see releasing a desktop with a problem as severe as incorrect system time, because that can affect everything in the system that relies upon timing, besides just annoying the user. Also, for weeks now, I have been having windows, a random number of them, pop up entitled "blnkscrn.kss" at every boot. Recently, they went away, only to be replaced by a window that asks me if I want to close Thunderbird. No, I just booted, and Thunderbird loads automatically as I desire, but I do not want to close it.

Maybe KDE suffers from too many developers and not enough testers. I think that is the case. But once a KDE system becomes stable and solid, as mine was at version 4.9.5, then it is superb. I'm hopeful that 4.10.4 will prove solider and stabler than its predecessors. Maybe that close-window prompt will go away when they release 4.10.5. I think that once they get to 4.10.9, I'm going to turn off updates and just stick with that as long as I can.
seasoned_geek

Mint 15 KDE when???

Post by seasoned_geek »

The title says it all. When will there be a Mint 15 KDE release. I don't actually care for anything Gnome based.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same subject, topics merged.
Orbmiser

Re: Mint 15 KDE when???

Post by Orbmiser »

seasoned_geek wrote:The title says it all. When will there be a Mint 15 KDE release. I don't actually care for anything Gnome based.
Started another thread about it. Asking
[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=136629[/url]
As far as the main editions, the timeline seems to be 3-4 weeks from testing to RC to final. KDE is a little bit of a different animal, as there historically has been only 1 maintainer of that edition. In the 3-1/2 years I've been using Mint, the KDE edition has always reached final release at about a full month after the main editions.
KDE 15 64bit is at 100% testing so waiting to go RC then Stable for release should see it no later than middle of next month?
[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/iso[/url]
dequire

Post by dequire »

igor83 wrote:One shortcoming of KDE is that they do tend to release things before they are ready for prime time. 4.10 was a case in point. It seems to me that KDE would make a much better impression if it did not fall flat on its face with bugs, but was stable and solid, because that's what users want most of all. I think KDE has lost a lot of mindshare due to this rush-to-release strategy where they try to get in under the wire with the latest Ubuntu, Open Suse and Mageia release. The tail is wagging the dog. I think it is better to hold back new features until severe bugs are worked out.

When I installed Kubuntu 13.04 on my desktop, first of all the clock dialed back three hours and stayed wrong every reboot until a user wrote in with a manual user-directed solution involving command-line syntax. I don't see releasing a desktop with a problem as severe as incorrect system time, because that can affect everything in the system that relies upon timing, besides just annoying the user. Also, for weeks now, I have been having windows, a random number of them, pop up entitled "blnkscrn.kss" at every boot. Recently, they went away, only to be replaced by a window that asks me if I want to close Thunderbird. No, I just booted, and Thunderbird loads automatically as I desire, but I do not want to close it.

Maybe KDE suffers from too many developers and not enough testers. I think that is the case. But once a KDE system becomes stable and solid, as mine was at version 4.9.5, then it is superb. I'm hopeful that 4.10.4 will prove solider and stabler than its predecessors. Maybe that close-window prompt will go away when they release 4.10.5. I think that once they get to 4.10.9, I'm going to turn off updates and just stick with that as long as I can.
How is this post even remotely on topic? Also, as I have not experienced any of the issues that you have spoke of (though I am aware of the time issue, see: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubun ... 07060.html). Overall, to me KDE seems rock-solid, especially now in in the 4.10.x series. But again, this commentary is totally off-topic and does not belong here. If you have the issues you've described, I'm assuming you've filed bugs on those issues.
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

Those were my reactions when I read the post as well. I did not think the post deserved a response as the OP seemed to be sniveling. I have always found a work around to issues in LM 14 KDE with help from people on this forum. I am in no hurry for 15 as 14 suits me fine. When it arrives I will balance new features and benefits to see how quickly I want to move. The transition always takes me some time as I have 4 machines to migrate. Thank you Clem and contributors for such a fine distribution.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Sniveling, eh? Don't ever criticize KDE, right? Only say good things about it? To say anything else is "off-topic?" Your strong reaction makes me think I'm on to something. Nothing pierces like the truth.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's not make this personal and take this further off topic, so kindly all back off a bit.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

igor83 wrote:Sniveling, eh? Don't ever criticize KDE, right? Only say good things about it? To say anything else is "off-topic?" Your strong reaction makes me think I'm on to something. Nothing pierces like the truth.
The Truth shall set you Free!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

blue_bullet wrote:I am in no hurry for 15 as 14 suits me fine. When it arrives I will balance new features and benefits to see how quickly I want to move. The transition always takes me some time as I have 4 machines to migrate. Thank you Clem and contributors for such a fine distribution.
Something to take into consideration, especially if you are satisfied with Mint 14, is that Mint 15 will reach end of life before Mint 14 does.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

tdockery97 wrote:
blue_bullet wrote:I am in no hurry for 15 as 14 suits me fine. When it arrives I will balance new features and benefits to see how quickly I want to move. The transition always takes me some time as I have 4 machines to migrate. Thank you Clem and contributors for such a fine distribution.
Something to take into consideration, especially if you are satisfied with Mint 14, is that Mint 15 will reach end of life before Mint 14 does.
Well this is pure nonsense on Mint's part. It is like saying Windows XP's end of life cycle will be longer than Windows 8. But then there will be Mint 16,17,18 so it is a moot point.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Gary7 wrote: Well this is pure nonsense on Mint's part. It is like saying Windows XP's end of life cycle will be longer than Windows 8. But then there will be Mint 16,17,18 so it is a moot point.
It is purely because of Canonical's decision to only support non-LTS releases for 9 months. The current 12.04 LTS is supported for 5 years! I'm OK with this as it frees manpower to concentrate on making each release better by not spending so much time supporting too many multiple releases simultaneously.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

dequire wrote:
Gary7 wrote: Well this is pure nonsense on Mint's part. It is like saying Windows XP's end of life cycle will be longer than Windows 8. But then there will be Mint 16,17,18 so it is a moot point.
It is purely because of Canonical's decision to only support non-LTS releases for 9 months. The current 12.04 LTS is supported for 5 years! I'm OK with this as it frees manpower to concentrate on making each release better by not spending so much time supporting too many multiple releases simultaneously.
A Mate and a Cinnamon release are sort of redundant. Cinnamon has some neater features but that is where it ends.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Not is happening to them ?? But I think they are taking too long to draw. I see more than a week ago that the 64-bit version is 100% tested, it seems that already could take out the RC now. Although I did not install, I expect to see Linux Mint 15 KDE finished someday !!!! I do not want to take another disappointment how the failed Linux Mint 11 KDE (never came out, I am waiting still)..... Please, Linux Mint Team not only live with Mate Desktop and Cinnamon..... Best Regards.
lepadatu.lucian

Post by lepadatu.lucian »

I'm waitting impatiently for a while now but it seems to me that there is no progress regarding the KDE spin of Linux Mint. I was really looking forward to install Linux Mint 15 KDE and use it on my main computer
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

lepadatu.lucian wrote:I'm waitting impatiently for a while now
Try waiting patiently instead. The Linux Mint developers release when ready, and not sooner :wink: While there is a rough target date for release, it's not set in stone. As noted on the blog, http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2369, the RC is expected soon and the waiting has been for the release of the new upstream kernel to fix issues with HDMI for some users.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

xenopeek wrote:
lepadatu.lucian wrote:I'm waitting impatiently for a while now
Try waiting patiently instead. The Linux Mint developers release when ready, and not sooner :wink: While there is a rough target date for release, it's not set in stone. As noted on the blog, http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2369, the RC is expected soon and the waiting has been for the release of the new upstream kernel to fix issues with HDMI for some users.
I'm writing this message on my Linux Mint 14 KDE-powered laptop. It's running KDE 4.10.4 smoothly, so I'm in no hurry myself. I respect LM for releasing when ready, instead of releasing something that's got serious problems like Kubuntu 13.04 definitely did.

I don't really see a reason for reinstalling if one already has LM 14 and it's working well.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

People: There are new images .iso being tested. I have installed Linux Mint 13 KDE and it's really a rock. It's nice to use, so far I never threw a mistake. Linux Mint 14 KDE from what little I have used it also works very well. So, there is no choice to wait.... No doubt Linux Mint 15 KDE will be a pride issue, we are placing really looking forward......

Concerning Kubuntu: 12.xx versions are really excellent. I I have installed Kubuntu 12.04, and while an error I suddenly jumped generally works very well. Kubuntu 13.04 is a great image, great visuals, but I also know people who have given a problem and had to reinstall again. Even though Kubuntu has improved a lot from what it was previously (from 12.xx versions, it has been very good). I've tested the live mode, and it seemed faster than the 12.04. Best Regards.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Ohhh No! Can't Be!
[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/iso[/url]
13 Hours ago fredg Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201306181711) 0% tested 1 Day ago
fredg Olivia KDE Edition i386 (build #201306181557) 80% tested
2 Weeks ago fredg Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201306021800) Rejected
2 Weeks ago fredg Olivia KDE Edition i386 (build #201305301550) Rejected
Looks like going to be a long wait. Don't know how a 100% tested 64bit version gets rejected but it did.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Orbmiser wrote:Don't know how a 100% tested 64bit version gets rejected but it did.
Well, there are failures on the that build. 100% tested doesn't mean 100% tests succeeded.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I don't know. When it is done, it is done. That's fine by me. There are a whole lot of people working on this project that sure as heck are not getting no $100 per hour for their efforts. I'll bet they could if they so desired. Be happy it is what it is.

Return to “Software & Applications”