Wireless missing on Mint Cinnamon 14

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jerry

Wireless missing on Mint Cinnamon 14

Post by Jerry »

Hi. I've had a couple of problems lately and most of them pertain to not being able to get wireless working on Mint 14. Currently, I share my wireles with my landlord upstairs. I can get wireless just fine and working with no problem on my laptop but when it comes to the desktop wireless becomes a problem to the point where (at one point) I had to re-install the entire operating system just so as to get the wireless going again.

A few days ago, wireless was fine. Yesterday it was not. Yesterday the wireless tab was visible but I could not enable a wireless connection. Today, the wireless tab is completely misssing from Network Settings.

Basically, this is what I have

Code: Select all

wlan0     no wireless extensions

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
What to do please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

PS. One other thing is that the desktop has Win 7, so I am dual booting. Because of that, the wireless driver for the Windows7 side is a Ralink driver ( I was using the broadcom driver that comes with Mint without much problem until just recently) .

I have tried to go and see if it is possible to utilize the Windows Wireless Network Drivers to enable the Ralink 2870 drivers but this has been done without success. One of 2 reasons this has been unsucessful is because as it stands now, Mint does not show where Windows 7 drive is as it did before. So I cannot access the Win 7 drive. Also I need the fwcutter utitliy which requires network access.

I can not even have Mint see or recognize when a USB stick is inserted so this remains another problem. Otherwise, I might try the tutorial listed here to get wireless going:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/692
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jerry

Re: Wireless tab missing on Mint Cinnamon

Post by Jerry »

I went to the offline install of broadcom and I think I may have gotten to a point where, had I wireless, I would have been able to install wireless b43 broadcom. However, one problem persists. Since I have no wireless, I cannot download the b43 fwcutter tool. I had to use Windows to download from here http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/utils/b43-fwcutter and then move that tool to another partition so as to be able to access that tool from Mint from that other partition. So now that I have b43 fwcutter tool, where do I extract it too and what would be the precise commands to implement it towards that location, please?

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)
Dauntless77

Re: Wireless missing on Mint Cinnamon 14

Post by Dauntless77 »

do you have access to hard wire the connection, that would help. when you plug in hard wire, go to your "software manager" go to menu then to "all" and scroll down to find it. In the search box in software manager type in Broadcom. You will get a few Broadcom updates that will help you out, install the one that pertains to your chip set. This worked for me. Good luck . Let me know what how it goes.
Dauntless77

Post by Dauntless77 »

Jerry, I have Mint 10 and it was a pain in the ass to get the wireless Broadcom to work. I kept getting error messages saying the when I was trying to download drivers . It said "fail to fetch archive.ubuntu.com file////. so I used the file path that the error message gave and looked it up on the net. was able to download it successfully, driver and update. I know this sounds trivial but you need to be hard wired to the net to do this. you should be able to get your b43 tools also through software manager in the menu. What you said in your last post seems like you are doing too much for what you want. command lines are great but not always needed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

First we need to know which device you are trying to enable. Without that info we may be helping set up the wrong driver. Can you open a terminal and give us the output of

lspci -vnn

Return to “Networking”