/tmp not ready or not present (resolved - probably)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RicahrdS

/tmp not ready or not present (resolved - probably)

Post by RicahrdS »

Good morning, under another thread (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=115977) I have related my saga about trying to get Mint 13 Mate to work in a stable fashion. This I did in a semi light-hearted way, it was annoying, and a good suggestion from bigj231 seemed to have solved the problem for a while. I have trawled the web and the basic problem has been reported since 2010 in several forums affecting Ubuntu as well as Mint users. My previous Mint 11 installation was never a problem.

It may be that there is not one solution and it could be hardware related but there is something going on.

1. Mint 13 is running when the user notices that 'something goes wrong' - an app won't launch, an app closes down itself, etc
Everything stops - it may even be impossible to 'close down' necessitating a PC reset or 'hot shut down.' I have experienced all of these scenarios.

2. On restarting this message is displayed:
Errors were found while checking the disc drive for /.
There are some options offered: Press F to fix, S to skip mounting, I to ignore or M to fix manually

3. Pressing F causes the next message to appear:
The disc drive for /tmp is not ready yet or not present
You can wait as suggested, press S or press I

4. Waiting results in the PC rebooting and in my experience MInt 13 launching normally.
Invariably if Google Chrome has been open - it will have not shut down correctly (the familiar message under the bookmark bar)

So far there does not seem to be a common solution for this problem, or not that I can find. Various reports of the error seem unresolved or peter out, the outcome being unclear.

In no way am I a techie but some factors are apparent:

1. Most people cannot be getting this problem - so what is different about those who are? Is it an installation error? Is it a hardware problem?
2. The errors appear to come from the Mint boot sequence. So does it not follow that in order for this to happen the HDD with the OS on must be ready and present? Or could it be something to do with GRUB. (I have XP installed on a second drive and this is working perfectly)
3. Mint 13 can obviously correct the problem because by waiting at error 2, the system restarts and all is well until the next time an app 'hangs' or whatever happens behind the scenes happens.
4. What part of the system is checking the disc? If it cannot find /, how can this be as surely / is the bottom line so to speak, the check sequence must be after this? I can understand how /tmp might be missing, the OS is not looking in the right place for it. I do note that some advise that /tmp is installed in a separate volume. But the fact sometimes it is found and sometimes not suggest that the problem is inconsistent.
5. What might be causing the problem(s) during what appears to be a stable session which in turn lead to the boot errors? In fact this is probably the first question that should be asked.

My feeling is that there are probably only one or two likely sources for the issue. I say this because none of the proposed solutions seem to work for everybody, there is apparently no fix as such.

A) A software 'crisis' - for want of a better word - in my case Google Chrome, - but if this the case why does a reboot not solve the problem but instead present new ones?
B) Hardware

Previously, I was annoyed but tried to be light hearted about the problem. Today I find it vexing and want to find, if not a solution, an answer. I just don't know enough about Mint/Ubuntu/Debian or computers in general to resolve it. :(

In the other thread I reported problems even booting the whole PC after some of the crashes, but not all. I couldn't even get beyond the bios - this leads me to think that it really is hardware at fault. Despite going through GRUB and selecting Mint I have had XP launch, and I have had the boot order of the HDDs within the bios change without me doing anything. (now I really don't understand that.)

If software this problem will cause me to ditch Mint and maybe Linux if I cannot get round it, and I don't want to do that. If it is hardware I can solve that easily and quickly but I have things to do and cannot spend my time playing with the OS.

Ho hum, I do hope somebody out there has some more ideas.

Thanks for reading.
RichardS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
j14

Re: /tmp not ready or not present

Post by j14 »

Richard,

I installed LM 14 yesterday and have experienced the exact same issue. Started during system updates install. Seems to be related to the closing of Firefox, but not always. Can't say I've seen the problem with Chromium.

Just left Fedora after about 2 years of fighting to "fix" the system after updates (1/4 of the time). Thought switching to nouveau drivers instead of nVidia drivers would help. It may have but not enough. I've had great luck with Ubuntu and OpenSuse. If the LM 14 issue continues without resolution (tough to believe we both have the same hardware problems), I may give Mageia a try as my third system to play with.

John
RicahrdS

Post by RicahrdS »

Hi John, since I originally posted I have resolved the problem. To be honest I'm not sure why, but I did a fresh install of Mint 14 having downloaded and created a live CD. I also reloaded Windows 8 once the disc came through. I was having trouble with Win8 on boot as well - message such as disc not found - although visible in BIOS. I had the discs checked at a local shop for physical problems but there were none. The chap suggested a virus but I doubt it personally - but who knows

To be honest I think that basically I had a corrupt install with files missing for both systems. A risk with downloads perhaps.

Mint 14 seems to have got back to the stability that I enjoyed with Mint 11.

Personally, I feel that its best to try a clean install. Load from a live CD and format disc as well as creating partitions in the volume.

One thing with Linux is that you learn a lot!
j14

Post by j14 »

Thanks for sharing your experience Richard. Glad your hard drives are healthy and you are happy LM user. I will re-download the ISO file, re-burn the disk and re-install. Interesting that a corrupt installation would have yielded the same experience for both of us. Must be a weak link somewhere.

LM has done a great job of listening to users and made it a priority to create an enjoyable, instead of frustrating, Linux experience. The way the distro has grown speaks for itself. I'd like to give the software a try.

Installed Mageia (Gnome 3) on my 4th hard drive and things went very well. Still early but no issues so far.

Hope you continue to have a positive LM experience.

John
mmorse757

Re: /tmp not ready or not present (resolved - probably)

Post by mmorse757 »

I just did a fresh install of Mint 14 and I am having the same issue. I hit the F key to attempt to fix the issue. The computer works until I have to shut it down and reboot. DId anyone ever find the exact cause of this issue? Do you think going back to Mint 12 will help?

Michae;
Amit182

Post by Amit182 »

I have the same problem on Mint 14, but I get these problems when I'm trying to get out and reboot. The problems include the Updater not being able to refresh lists, at times files are locked (I can't delete them or edit them), the internet becomes unresponsive and slow, apps/programs will not open (Like I click on chrome, the curser changes shape to working and then nothing. Although I have been using Linux now for 3 years I never had a problem with anything (Used to be a windows hone tech support guy, so I do know bout Windows and it's issues) so there was no need for me to "learn" anything. Now it seems like I will need to start learning... Does anyone have a solution to this problem? If details would help I have a dual boot system booting Mint 14 and Windows 7, no problems in Windows (other than it updates a lot every time I open it in 2-3 months). 400Gig HDD, Partitioned to run Mint on 100GB.. Have had it this was for ages and there were no issues even when i updated to Mint 14 (not a fan of Mint15, but I think its more to do with MATE/GNOME- honestly i don't know which is what :?:
Generally have been very happy with Mint 14 and have made no H/W changes.
Open to any or all suggestions..
Thanks for reading this and helping me out.
whiskey7813

Post by whiskey7813 »

I agree that this issue seems to be sparatic so I thought I would offer my fix of this problem (that I caused by the way :? )
In my haste to test another distro I tried to download a torrent without my torrent software :shock: , after this I got a /tmp error when I attempted to download anything and I could not clear the download. I changed my file download location in firefox/edit and reset my download settings as instructed here--> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files#Manually_delete_download_history. Then did a reboot and got the /tmp not ready or not present on start up, I was then able to clear my download history and do another reboot. I have had no more issues since then.

Return to “Installation & Boot”