Building a New System

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drake2k

Building a New System

Post by Drake2k »

My MOBO died and I'm looking to buy a new system. I wanted to run this through the forums to see if there would be any issues running linux mint on it before I buy it. If any guru's wouldn't mind taking a quick look to see if you see anything here that might pose a problem, I would be most greatful. Thanks.
CAS: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window [-6] (Blue Color)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
CPU: AMD Athlon™ X2 4400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
CD: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
FLOPPY: NONE [-5]
HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+59] (CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power - SLI Supports)
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
------------The important part
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express [+12] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express [+12] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])
[/quote]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Building a New System

Post by Fred »

Drake2k,

Looking at your hardware, I see no reason for you to have a problem. I have used the mobo and the graphics card in boxes before without any significant problems.

The only real problem that I found on both the Asus M2N SLI and the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe was the sensors. I never did spend the time to try to figure out how to fix it. So Linux couldn't control the fans. But this, for most, is a minor issue.

I do have a couple suggestion though. I have not had good luck with dual graphics cards under linux. They are difficult to get to work and when you do they don't perform that much better than a single card. If this is going to be mostly a Linux box I would suggest upgrading your graphics card to the Nvidia 8600 series and going with just the one card.

If you are thinking about using some of the money saved from above to get a larger hard drive, don't. Two smaller hard drives are more flexible and have other advantages over a single large hard drive.

Good luck,

Fred
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

Fred, thank you for the input. The dual vs single card I thought 'might' be an issue under linux since most things these days are made specifically for Windows. I would of course like to hear more input on this particular issue. I do play world of warcraft on linux right now but in the future I might consider some other MMO's and if they don't play under linux I would then of course have to resort to a dual boot system. You know of course I'm going to try it with linux first.

I had not considered a second drive since I have a hundreds drives floating around my house. What I did consider however was going with a raptor drive as they are 10k RPMs vs 7200 RPMs. However to do so would be an additional $45 and would only be a 40 gig drive instead of a HUGE 320. Space vs speed.

Anymore thoughts?
Fred wrote:Drake2k,

Looking at your hardware, I see no reason for you to have a problem. I have used the mobo and the graphics card in boxes before without any significant problems.

The only real problem that I found on both the Asus M2N SLI and the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe was the sensors. I never did spend the time to try to figure out how to fix it. So Linux couldn't control the fans. But this, for most, is a minor issue.

I do have a couple suggestion though. I have not had good luck with dual graphics cards under linux. They are difficult to get to work and when you do they don't perform that much better than a single card. If this is going to be mostly a Linux box I would suggest upgrading your graphics card to the Nvidia 8600 series and going with just the one card.

If you are thinking about using some of the money saved from above to get a larger hard drive, don't. Two smaller hard drives are more flexible and have other advantages over a single large hard drive.

Good luck,

Fred
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

On the dual graphics cards, I've had trouble installing then with envy, but not by downloading the driver from Nvidia. There is a boost over 1 card, but I really don't feel you would need it. Unless your gaming on Windows, or just using Vista, go with one. Its really not that great to have dual gpu's in linux. I would use that on another part of the pc.

Return to “Hardware Support”