Wishlist - broadcom wireless firmware pre-installed.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Wishlist - broadcom wireless firmware pre-installed.

Post by masternetra »

I have a bcm4312 wireless and it doesn't work off the bat and wireless is my only available means to connect to the internet (I use the libraries wifi). Now fortunately I have a wireless adpater I use (which while made for winxp ironically works better on linux), Of course this is because of the firmware, easy fix if you can rig up a internet connection and nab the b43 firmware installer package. Would like to see mint include the firmware for the b43 devices though (all wireless drivers and firmware should be included personally, sense needing to access the internet to get them can easly fall into a catch 22 and your stuck up a river without a paddle).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Wishlist - broadcom wireless firmware pre-installed.

Post by kc1di »

Hello masternetra and welcome to mint.
I have the same card as you and it works better with the STA driver instead of the b43xx drivers. just for your information. If I were you I'd place a comment on the community idea page also as it may get seen there by the devs. sooner. than here.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

kc1di wrote:Hello masternetra and welcome to mint.
I have the same card as you and it works better with the STA driver instead of the b43xx drivers. just for your information. If I were you I'd place a comment on the community idea page also as it may get seen there by the devs. sooner. than here.
STA Hasn't worked for me sense Ubuntu 10.10. Of course some hardware detection software on windows had once said I had a bcm4311..either way..
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

Update: Yea it seems I do actually have a bcm4311 for wireless. Wireless for me with Mint 15 still doesn't work out of the box. Naturally the same with Ubuntu and most of its variants, except trisquel which had it fixed sense their 5.0 release. or was it 4.x I forget.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Edit - removed post due to missing that OP stated later in thread they have BCM4311, not 4312.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

Apparently for BCM4311 need linux-firmware-nonfree packaged install, removed the b43 stuff, restarted, installed only the linux-firmware-nonfree package, restarted again, and my bcm4311 card started working, quality thus far seems better.

Update: Learned its still b43 O.o , oh well, still just one package I have to deal with. STA just isn't for bcm4311 I guess.

Update 2: Seems I spoke too soon on the performance, still typical b43 performance, plus side with the linux-firmware-nonfree package I at least have a means to install some form wireless support in the event I lose my Encore wireless-g usb adapter, Which operates in vanilla Ubuntu/Mint and performs much better then my internal with the b43 driver, though ironically it sucks in windows xp which it was made for.

Return to “Hardware Support”