Help! I did a stupid thing.SOLVED (sort of)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alanstanley

Help! I did a stupid thing.SOLVED (sort of)

Post by alanstanley »

I am a mint user for a few months now and am convinced it is the best desktop dist for non technical people such as myself. Unfortunately whilst playing around I stupidly ignored warnings whilst using "kleansweep" and have deleted some things I shouldn-t have and now Mint won"t boot. On booting I first get the message

" graphics file "/etc/grub/message.mint" missing, press a key to continue....

I then get a modified version of the dual boot screen where I select between vista or Mint. On selecting Mint, at first the mint loading screen appears as normal (splash?) but then screen goes black and I get the following message

195 : can-t open /etc/default/rcS
error: /etc/init.d/rc exited outside expected code flow
init: rcS main process (2529) terminated with status 2

This message is then repeated, and then I am left with a blinking cursor.

Fortunately perhaps, yesterday I installed the new ubuntu using wubi inside vista just to try it out ( wubi would be a great addition to Mint by the way!), and therefore I have access to my mint partition from inside Ubuntu, everything seems to be still there if only I could boot into it. I can even go to the kleansweep back up files I made but don,t know how to reinstate them. I could reinstall mint as I have all my personal files backed up but would rather not. If only because I don.t want to loose all my e mails from thunderbird ( is there a way of salvaging these?)

I would be very very grateful to anyone prepared to spend the time to help me recover from this problem , I promise not to be so stupid in future! :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help! I did a stupid thing. Mint no longer booting

Post by 67GTA »

You could try running fsck with a live cd, but not knowing what you have deleted, it is hard to say. You can use a live cd to get your emails, etc. Boot a live cd, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
. Then using the info from that command, run fsck on your linux partition:

Code: Select all

sudo fsck /dev/sdax
Replace the "x" with your number.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Husse

Post by Husse »

I would recommend a fresh install!
You have all your personal files backed up except mail?
This is in your Mozilla profiles folder in home so just copy that folder to a safe place and use a separate partition for home when you reinstall and you wont loose any data on reinstall
I have my profiles in a non standard location so I can't give you the exact path, but I think it's a folder in /home called Mozilla_Profiles
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Hey Husse, do you ever sleep?(lol)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

amazingly fast replies! Thanks. Will try what you say when I have time tomorrow and let you know how I get on (and probably ask for more advice!)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ 67GTA
I came home from work about 6 AM today, so I slept most of the day :)
alanstanley

Post by alanstanley »

Thanks for your suggestion 67GTA but I'm afraid it didn't help, the damage must have been too great. So thank you Husse for your advice and I am now freshly installed - wasn't able to find my thunderbird e mails though. Never mind. I've learnt from the experience though and in future I will use Gmail so I have an online back-up, also I have installed my Home to a separate partition to keep it safer and make upgrading easier. and most importantly I shall try in future not to mess around with things I don't understand!
Husse

Re: Help! I did a stupid thing.SOLVED (sort of)

Post by Husse »

There is another topic where I've been active where you can find the correct path to Thunderbird mail (if the need ever arises again)

Return to “Beginner Questions”