Just want to say thanks...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Just want to say thanks...

Post by Whitefort »

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who'se ever been involved in producing Mint.

I've been a Mint fan ever since Ubuntu went down the Unity path. I've enjoyed each new flavour of Mint, but Mint 15 in particular blows my mind.

It seems like a small and insignificant thing, but those animated login windows are already making my non-minty friends really envious.

In terms of everything else, out-of-the-box Mint 15 is close to perfection in giving me everything I want from a desktop operating system.

I could go on (and on, and on - I'm good at that!), but I'll stop and just say thanks again!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wheeledgoat

Re: Just want to say thanks...

Post by wheeledgoat »

A big plus one.

As I willingly and gleefully jump from the MS camp, I found Mint. (tried Linux back in 2001, I wasn't man enough for it).

Mint is pretty much exactly what I was hoping it to be; a very accessible version of Linux that;
a) gives me an operational desktop OS off the bat
b) lets me learn at my own pace as I tinker around with stuff

Nicely done, developers. And thank you!!. It feels so good to tell m$ to "suck it", even if its only in my head and I never utter the words!

After my most recent install of XP went belly-up (AGAIN!) I was faced with:

-reinstall XP from scratch (my image was no longer any good since I had switched out my video card and forgot to make another image since)
-wait for hours upon hours to get through all the Service Pack upgrades & security updates.
-use IE once, and only once, to dl firefox
-install hardware, video, sound drivers
-install office suite (thankfully I had the clarity to abandon MS office 2 years ago and have been using Libre)

every single blessed one of these bullet points were nailed ON THE HEAD with one simple Mint install. I could hardly believe it when I booted it up for the first time - I kept looking for things that I needed to do to get my computer up and running with the new OS install. After a few minutes I finally sat back, smiled, and checked my email and started surfing youtube...

SWEET!

Every day since as I grow more accustomed to Mint, I look at microsoft in my mental rear-view mirror as pull farther away. muahahhahahah!
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

wheeledgoat wrote: every single blessed one of these bullet points were nailed ON THE HEAD with one simple Mint install. I could hardly believe it when I booted it up for the first time - I kept looking for things that I needed to do to get my computer up and running with the new OS install. After a few minutes I finally sat back, smiled, and checked my email and started surfing youtube...

SWEET!

Every day since as I grow more accustomed to Mint, I look at microsoft in my mental rear-view mirror as pull farther away. muahahhahahah!
You might find it advantageous to

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Just to bring all the installed packages up to date. But that only takes about 10 minutes on my (rather slow) internet connection.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

thanks for the tip! I have indeed already done that.

Is it unheard of to put those commands in the script to do upon each boot? Or at least write a prompt as a reminder?
Espair

Post by Espair »

Might as well say thanks here too, I also tried linux way back when, but it was just complicated and I didnt know how to use anything, as above said...
Mint is pretty much exactly what I was hoping it to be; a very accessible version of Linux that;
a) gives me an operational desktop OS off the bat
b) lets me learn at my own pace as I tinker around with stuff
So thank you!
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

wheeledgoat wrote:thanks for the tip! I have indeed already done that.

Is it unheard of to put those commands in the script to do upon each boot? Or at least write a prompt as a reminder?
I use those commands as part of my "standard" install process (I keep borking my system and/or distro hopping, so I've done it few times) but I don't think I could recommend them in a script or as a general, everyday process.

Instead, let Mint carry that load for you - on your panel, far right, is an icon for the Mint Updater. It does a comparison between what is installed and what is available and then provides a visual indicator of your status. This check, at least on my machines, is done shortly after logon and usually only takes a moment or two before the indicator is provided. Easy and not so in-your-face.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

It seems like a small and insignificant thing, but those animated login windows are already making my non-minty friends really envious.
Am guessing you would have seen this - HTML themes by samriggs and few others are very creative and look fascinating.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=126979

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”