Integrated card and nVidia graphics card problem.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xMestrees

Integrated card and nVidia graphics card problem.

Post by xMestrees »

Hello I have a problem with my new laptop, it's an Asus A55VD-SX408H and it has two graphics cards: first one is the intel integrated and the second one is a NVIDIA GeForce 610M. The problem is that the laptop only detects the integrated one, so it doesn't have 3D acceleration. I have tried bumblebee but I'd prefer to disable the integrated graphics card and make it run with the NVIDIA card.
I have also tried modifying the xorg.conf file and setting the NVIDIA graphics card bus, but it doesn't work, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Is there any way to change the graphics card on linux? I'm new here and i don't know if it is possible.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I have also tried to disable my integrated card throught the BIOS but I don't see any option, my BIOS is an Aptio Setup Utility, maybe it's too simple to do this things (would it be a good idea to flash a Phoenix BIOS?)
Here some pictures of the BIOS:

The Graphics configuration of the second photo shows the ram allocation for the integrated graphics, nothing else.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xMestrees

Re: Dual graphics card nVidia graphics problem.

Post by xMestrees »

Any way to disable the integrated graphics?
zerozero

Re: Integrated card and nVidia graphics card problem.

Post by zerozero »

xMestrees wrote: I have tried bumblebee
and did it work?
xMestrees wrote:but I'd prefer to disable the integrated graphics card and make it run with the NVIDIA card.
i'm afraid you can't (not if you can't find a setting in the bios to disable it)
what bumblebee does is allow you to use the intel card for everyday usage (with low power consumption) and when needed (with intensive openGL applications like games or rendering app) specify the nvidia card for that app.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

xMestrees wrote:I have also tried to disable my integrated card throught the BIOS but I don't see any option, my BIOS is an Aptio Setup Utility, maybe it's too simple to do this things (would it be a good idea to flash a Phoenix BIOS?)
You can't flash a BIOS that is not made specifically for your computer / motherboard.

Like zerozero said, you indeed need to install Bumblebee. That can be easily done using this how-to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xMestrees

Post by xMestrees »

Yes, Bumblebee worked, but I don't like the idea of calling the applications/games I want to run with "optirun" very much.
Anyways, If there's no way to disable the integrated graphics (or setting the nvidia card BusID to the xorg configuration file) that really does what I want, I'll keep using bumblebee.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have a menu entry for a program that you want to run on NVIDIA graphics, you can right-click the menu button on the panel > Edit Menu, then edit the menu item of this program to add optirun at the start of the command-line. The same can be done with desktop launchers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xMestrees

Post by xMestrees »

AlbertP wrote:If you have a menu entry for a program that you want to run on NVIDIA graphics, you can right-click the menu button on the panel > Edit Menu, then edit the menu item of this program to add optirun at the start of the command-line. The same can be done with desktop launchers.
Good idea, I'll use bumblebee and edit the menu.

Thanks for your answers!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”