Adding an app to the Menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeglaz

Adding an app to the Menu

Post by mikeglaz »

I downloaded RubyMine and placed it under the Programming category. But after I finish it appears in the Other category instead?? However, when I installed NetBeans it automatically put itself under the Programming category. I just upgraded to Linux Mint 14.

mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mockturtl

Re: Adding an app to the Menu

Post by mockturtl »

Check ~/.local/share/applications/jetbrains-rubymine.desktop.

Depending on how you installed netbeans (upstream package, vs. shell script from netbeans.org), you'll have a comparable netbeans.desktop file there, or in /usr/share/applications/.

The "Categories=" line should include "Development;IDE;"

GNOME .desktop file spec
mikeglaz

Post by mikeglaz »

What actually fixed the problem was that jetbrains-rubymine.desktop had permissions set to rw only for owner, which was root. I had to change the permissions to 755 like all the other .desktop files.

mike
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

mikeglaz wrote:What actually fixed the problem was that jetbrains-rubymine.desktop had permissions set to rw only for owner, which was root. I had to change the permissions to 755 like all the other .desktop files.

mike
rw-r--r-- is 644. The x bit determines whether the file manager shows foo.desktop as "foo" with its icon.

The menu category is determined by the "Categories" line.

A file for which your user lacks read permission won't show up at all, but I'm glad you got it working. (Restarting mdm, I think, was the missing step.)
stevedev

Post by stevedev »

I'm a noobie to the mint world, but glad I discovered.
in my situation I installed and used alacarte to add it to Development -- but what's the cmd to restart mdm (it's still showing up in Other for me)?

-Steve
stevedev

Post by stevedev »

jetbrains support update -- tech mentioned to me to not run as root.. and that there's a add to menu config selection from the welcome screen I overlooked. doh!

For those that end up in this state of no icon in menu.. best to just do:
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1680/2rwl.png

-Steve

Return to “Cinnamon”