Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
insx

Re: Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" released!

Post by insx »

Not working for me, Cinnamon crashes at startup and keeps on crashing. 14 was fine. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. My PC is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic, quite old but not ancient.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

insx wrote:Not working for me, Cinnamon crashes at startup and keeps on crashing. 14 was fine. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. My PC is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic, quite old but not ancient.
Verified good installation .ISO/media? md5sum checks out?
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

This can't be right. I think the year is incorrect.

"15 Olivia Ubuntu Raring Supported until January 2014."
Kishor

Wi Fi Connection immediately detected by Linux Mint15 Olivia

Post by Kishor »

I had bought Toshiba Satellite 850 - P5010 during April 2013, though I knew that
with Linux Mint 14 Nadia WiFi doesn't work.
I had confidence in Linux Developers and expected Linux Developers to fix Wi Fi issue.
I had downloaded and installed Linux Mint15 Olivia 64 Bits on 8th June 2013.
Laptop immediately detected Wi Fi connection.
Thanks a lot.
I think "windows Wireless Drivers" in Menu->all application can be removed.
camope3

Post by camope3 »

Olivia released under Mate and Cinnamon, but when we will get XFCE-edition? Reasons: Cinnamon is terrible Gnome3-similar, MATE so wet and unstable. XFCE, like in Mint 14, so good! When? Olivia lifetime will be over soon...
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

camope3 wrote:Olivia released under Mate and Cinnamon, but when we will get XFCE-edition? Reasons: Cinnamon is terrible Gnome3-similar, MATE so wet and unstable. XFCE, like in Mint 14, so good! When? Olivia lifetime will be over soon...
Perhaps it would be better not to state that "Cinnamon is terrible" when asking for a favor... from the people who develop Cinnamon, lol.

For example, I would say, "Cinnamon, while by most accounts a wonderful DE, does not perform well on my shoddy eight-ten year old computers. I am very much looking forward to a future Xfce version of Mint OS. Is there any word as to when such a version might appear? Or, since I have yet to see even a "rejected" Olivia Xfce version appear on the Linux Mint Community's ISO Images web page, is there any word as to whether or not an official Xfce version of Mint 15 will appear at all?"

In truth, because Mint 14 will be supported for three months longer than Mint 15 will, I am not dreadfully concerned about it - but I would like to see one produced, not only to satisfy my curiosity about the new features that Mint 15 undoubtedly brings, but so that I may know that Mint is still (actively) supporting the Xfce DE.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

After using Ubuntu for quite some time, Linux Mint 15 got me back to my first distro. Great work guys! :D
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" XFCE

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I just checked the .ISO Images web page and was happy to see that there are now 32- and 64-bit images of Mint 15 Olivia Xfce editions posted! :D

Bear in mind that these are the first versions of it that I have seen on that page, they are most definitely PRE-RC versions that were only posted 11 hours ago and are only marked as having been 80% and 78.33% tested and are, therefore, NOT ready for daily use as our main OS. They might - and probably will be unless the developers have hit a grand slam in their first at bat - be marked as "rejected" tomorrow.

But now we know for sure without a doubt that the Xfce versions of Mint Olivia are in active development.

I realize that this is the 4th "DE version" in your stable and for all I know the actual number of people who find great value in combining a very nice distro with a DE that does everything it needs to do whilst demanding relatively low resources in return might be somewhat small (but there are lots of Xfce users who probably haven't been lucky enough to experience Mint's version of it - yet). I also realize that the Mint team are the developers of the Cinnamon DE and that means that Cinnamon would - justifiably - have more of an obligation on your time than anything related to a DE that you aren't the primary developer/maintainer of. Since everyone only has finite amounts of time, I don't expect you to drop everything else to push Xfce out the door. I know that it's better to get it done right than to get it done right now and that the answer to the question, "When will {any bit of software} be ready?" is, properly, "When it is."

Thank you, Clem (and everyone else involved)! I cannot imagine anything that I could do to help - but if you think of something that this ignorant "eternal-newbie" might be able to help with, don't hesitate to ask, lol.

Thanks again,
MD

PS I also noticed that the latest 32- and 64-bit Mint 15 Olivia KDE versions are now marked as "Approved for RC release." That's also something that will make a few people happy.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Right now, I'm using Linux Mint 15 KDE RC from a Live DVD. That I can tell you, is really beautiful .... It works wonderfully well on my machine. It takes a lot, but I really wish it was worth it (hurts the little time support) .... The RC is almost perfect ..... Congratulations Linux Mint Team and Thanks !!!!
Bikk

Post by Bikk »

Jose Manuel wrote:Right now, I'm using Linux Mint 15 KDE RC from a Live DVD. That I can tell you, is really beautiful .... It works wonderfully well on my machine. It takes a lot, but I really wish it was worth it (hurts the little time support) .... The RC is almost perfect ..... Congratulations Linux Mint Team and Thanks !!!!
Well, I couldn't wait, so I had already installed KDE on my own... it is absolutely beautiful... the only issue I had was Software Manager was dead. I used the console to uninstall and reinstall/update and no problems since. Also kept Caja from Mate to use along with Dolphin; very handy for vids and pics (thumbnails).

If I have any problems by the time the release comes out, I will do fresh install... otherwise, I am happy ;)
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Right now, I'm using Linux Mint 15 XFCE RC from a Live DVD. In the same way I found the KDE version almost perfect, I dare say that the XFCE version is really perfect. Sorry if I'm repeating the same thing yesterday, but really the Linux Mint team knows how to make great things !!!! That I can tell you, is really beautiful .... It works wonderfully well on my machine. It takes a lot, but I really wish it was worth it (hurts the little time support).... The RC its really perfect ..... Congratulations (once again) Linux Mint Team and Thanks !!!!
mlippert

Post by mlippert »

Um I logged in to the forums to say the same thing, and I don't see any response to ddalley and the downloads page still says January 2014.
ddalley wrote:This can't be right. I think the year is incorrect.

"15 Olivia Ubuntu Raring Supported until January 2014."
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

mlippert wrote:Um I logged in to the forums to say the same thing, and I don't see any response to ddalley and the downloads page still says January 2014.
The information is correct. Ubuntu Raring is only supported until January 2014. Since Mint 15 is based on Raring, it too only has support until January 2014.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vbhatia

Post by vbhatia »

i installed Mint 15 Cinnamon on my Acer 4820TG laptop. after installation, it did not shut down normally and now it is not booting up. I tried to do a reinstallation but i cannot. The screen goes blank and nothing happens. Is it due to disk encryption. How do i reload mint or windows now? Do i need to change my hard disk? Help me please
mlippert

Post by mlippert »

tdockery97 wrote:
mlippert wrote:Um I logged in to the forums to say the same thing, and I don't see any response to ddalley and the downloads page still says January 2014.
The information is correct. Ubuntu Raring is only supported until January 2014. Since Mint 15 is based on Raring, it too only has support until January 2014.
Thanks that explains it. It seemed a much shorter time period than usual so I wanted to double check.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Ubuntu shortened the period of support for their non-LTS versions.

Code: Select all

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ubuntu-release-cycle-2.png
Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”