Mint KDE 15

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint KDE 15

Post by xenopeek »

I talked to Fred yesterday; he has the new builds up and was having a good feeling this one would pass the tests and the RC could be released soon.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thats welcome news.

I am hoping there is a test case for checking Clock time works fine. Many of used faced [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=128331]issues[/url]while incorrect time was shown and even corrections were getting reset on boot.
AlexBhpp

Post by AlexBhpp »

xenopeek wrote:I talked to Fred yesterday; he has the new builds up and was having a good feeling this one would pass the tests and the RC could be released soon.
Awesome news! Thx.

I'll glad to run this one on my new PC!
Solbit

Post by Solbit »

I urgently need mint15kde, can not wait anymore, please hurry
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, I notice that so far there are no failed cases and just one warning. Looks like this could be the one.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks for the Heads up. I can wait as Mint 14 KDE 4.10.3 is running snappy and problem free.

But my aim is to eventually get to 4.12? last LTS? while they work on porting over to wayland and Qt5?
But found KDE Mint 14 does it for me and quite happy if I was stuck for awhile with it.
But always interested in better and more proficient use of resources,ram and hardware driver improvements.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

OK testers, the Mint 15 KDE release candidate will be hitting the mirrors soon. On your marks, get set...
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
worm

Post by worm »

tdockery97 wrote: soon
what does 'soon' mean :?:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Looks like Right Now.
[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/iso[/url]

Even showing the started state of xfce editions.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

worm wrote:
tdockery97 wrote: soon
what does 'soon' mean :?:
in a mirror near you right now :P
(anyway, as with all unannounced isos, use at your risk :wink: )
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

Woohoo, happy days!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

first impression 8)
second impression:
Although it was selected as default in Ubuntu 13.04, the 3.8.0-19 kernel used in Linux Mint 15 didn’t work as well as we’d have expected. Many people were unable to get the sound working through HDMI and some even experienced kernel panics and system freezes. A few workarounds were identified during the RC but the cause of the problem wasn’t clear to us so we spent time looking into this… we’ll vulgarize our findings on the Segfault blog and we’re likely to upgrade the kernel to 3.8.0-25 (up-to-date with upstream 3.8.13) in the upcoming KDE and Xfce editions.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2369
is solved :P

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~ > inxi -S
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.8.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.10.3 Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

My screenshot is up in the June screenshots thread. The only issues I found were in the installation process. Selecting log in automatically didn't "take". Upon reboot it went to the login screen. I had to redo the auto login option in System Settings. The other bug was restarting when installation finished. Once the DVD was ejected, hitting "enter" did not continue the restart. I had to do a hard shutdown with the power button.

Other than those two items, so far it is running like a champ.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

another small :wink: detail

mint@mint:~ > kde4-config --version
Qt: 4.8.4
KDE Development Platform: 4.10.3
kde4-config: 1.0
KDE 4.10.3
igor83

Post by igor83 »

zerozero wrote:first impression 8)
second impression:
Although it was selected as default in Ubuntu 13.04, the 3.8.0-19 kernel used in Linux Mint 15 didn’t work as well as we’d have expected. Many people were unable to get the sound working through HDMI and some even experienced kernel panics and system freezes. A few workarounds were identified during the RC but the cause of the problem wasn’t clear to us so we spent time looking into this… we’ll vulgarize our findings on the Segfault blog and we’re likely to upgrade the kernel to 3.8.0-25 (up-to-date with upstream 3.8.13) in the upcoming KDE and Xfce editions.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2369
is solved :P

mint@mint:~ > inxi -S
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.8.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.10.3 Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
With the advent of 3.8, the kernel only reserves resources for 1 of these audio outputs--hdmi or s/pdif--by default. If u want both, u can have them, but u have to make some minor changes to your config. I didn't bother. I simply went into BIOS and disabled hdmi on the one PC that had s/pdif, as I don't use hdmi. I am running kernel 3.8.13 on Linux Mint 14 Xfce on my htpc with s/pdif.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

As already comment on the subject of Linux Mint 15.... Right now, I'm using Linux Mint 15 KDE RC from a Live DVD. That I can tell you, is really beautiful .... It works wonderfully well on my machine. It takes a lot, but I really wish it was worth it (one really hurts support your time is so short).... It comes with a lot software, the software that most users basic and medium normally need. Brings KDE 4.10.3, Firefox 21 and LibreOffice 4.0.2.2 (the only detail is that the version of LibreOffice that brings not complete, missing some programs, I imagine the effects will not enlarge more image .Iso - among many other programs). Linux Mint 15 KDE its almost perfect !!!!

Was worth waiting.... This RC is almost perfect..... Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!! I think with the KDE fans are going to like a lot !!!! Congratulations !!!!
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

Jose Manuel wrote:As already comment on the subject of Linux Mint 15.... Right now, I'm using Linux Mint 15 KDE RC from a Live DVD. That I can tell you, is really beautiful .... It works wonderfully well on my machine. It takes a lot, but I really wish it was worth it (one really hurts support your time is so short).... It comes with a lot software, the software that most users basic and medium normally need. Brings KDE 4.10.3, Firefox 21 and LibreOffice 4.0.2.2 (the only detail is that the version of LibreOffice that brings not complete, missing some programs, I imagine the effects will not enlarge more image .Iso - among many other programs). Linux Mint 15 KDE its almost perfect !!!!

Was worth waiting.... This RC is almost perfect..... Congratulations Linux Mint Team !!!! I think with the KDE fans are going to like a lot !!!! Congratulations !!!!
Ok where does one get this?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Both the KDE and Xfce editions of Linux Mint 15 have been approved for RC: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso. The ISO images will being synced to all the mirror servers, and an announcement post is being prepared by the developers with all the information you need to know (like known issues and workarounds).

If you absolutely need the RC now, and can't wait for the announcement from the developers, you can browse the mirrors http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php. Pick a mirror and look in the testing directory. If the mirror is up to date, you will find the KDE and Xfce ISOs there with a date of 20th or 21st of June.

Note that getting the ISOs before their announcement is risky, and not recommended. As shared by Clem earlier: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/getting-isos-before-their-release-is-risky-and-not-recommended-even-though-it-helps-us-a-bit/
Solbit

Post by Solbit »

OK, rc is now out there, and when it will be finished stable relase and finally released for download from the official site?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Solbit wrote:OK, rc is now out there, and when it will be finished stable relase and finally released for download from the official site?
There's no time schedule. It's just when the bugs are fixed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Software & Applications”