Good malware hunting for Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Good malware hunting for Linux

Post by Fred »

jungar,

As the situation exists today, I honestly don't think it is necessary for a Linux desktop that is not being used as a server, is not online 24/7 and is on DHCP instead of a static ip.

I have sane rules in iptables, (Linux equivalent to Windows firewalls), but nothing else. In approximately 10 years of Linux use I have never had a problem.

Having said that, I see no reason not to check your system once in a while, if it makes you feel more comfortable.

The most important thing is to develop good operating habits. Don't run your system as root. Only go into root to perform tasks that require it, then return to your user account. Be reasonable about where you download programs from. Use only reputable repos and other sources. Installing .deb files from your brother's neighbor's cousin's friend, is a very bad idea. Always check the md5 sum against the one on the program developers site when downloading an individual file.

Good luck,

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

Maybe your linux machine can't get a virus but that doesn't mean that it can't be a "carrier." The virus laden e-mail that you got, that didn't phase your machine, could wreck your friends new (Windows) quad core beauty. Imagine, wrecking your honey's computer.
For this reason alone should a good anti-malware program be used. You can still pass it on.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

bobpur wrote:Maybe your linux machine can't get a virus but that doesn't mean that it can't be a "carrier." The virus laden e-mail that you got, that didn't phase your machine, could wreck your friends new (Windows) quad core beauty. Imagine, wrecking your honey's computer.
For this reason alone should a good anti-malware program be used. You can still pass it on.
This is an extremely hypothetical situation, and I find the probability for this to occur ridiculously low:
1. You need to get an email containing a virus and forward it, meaning it has to contain something you find worth forwarding. How many virus infected emails would you have forwarded?
2. For a Windows machine to get infected, it either needs AV to be disabled (if so, you deserve to get infected), or the virus isn't in the AV database, meaning your own scanner probably won't find it either.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”